turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Afternoon Hunting Tips

Started by PANYHunter, February 19, 2011, 09:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PANYHunter

In Pennsylvania this year we can hunt until dark the second half of the season.  I have never hunted in the afternoon before.  If anyone has any tips i would appreciate them. :thanks:

redleg06

I have alot of success in the afternoon because they arent hen'd up as bad afternoon. 

The two things I do later in the day-

#1- If I know the land and where the turkey prefer to go--- Ill  try to position myself between where I think the turkey are (maybe I know the area and habits of turkey or maybe I saw them head out that way in the morning) and where I think they will be coming back to roost.   I dont want to set right on top of the area I think they are going to roost but do want to be able to call them in (blind -soft calling) for a look as they are ambling back to the roost area.  Worst case scenario is I have put myself in good position to put a bird to bed so I can hunt him the next day.

#2 - If I dont know the area- Im going to try and find a spot that I can hear and see for a good way's off.  Gobbling activity is a lot lower but if you do hear one, you got a good shot to get him cause he is more likely to be lonesome. 

Either way, afternoon hunting (for me at least) is a lot more of a patience game but if you're willing to sit back and relax while putting that time in the field a lot of time, it'll pay off for you cause there are less hunters and less hens to compete with.

PANYHunter

Thanks redleg!! That's the same ideas i was having.

hookedspur

This is when your scoutjng pays off if you know where he wants to roost.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

ElkTurkMan

The last three birds I've shot have been after noon.  It's definately more of waiting game in the  afternoon.  I'll usuall key in on logging roads or similar areas where I know turkey are at and I'll sit and cold call and try to catch one's interest as he goes about his afternoon activities.  Afternoon's are a great time to set up at Strut Zones and cold call as well.   IMO afternoon hunting gets better  later in the season due to the hens going on nest.

Boparks

Quote from: redleg06 on February 19, 2011, 01:29:30 PM
I have alot of success in the afternoon because they arent hen'd up as bad afternoon.  

#1- If I know the land and where the turkey prefer to go--- Ill  try to position myself between where I think the turkey are (maybe I know the area and habits of turkey or maybe I saw them head out that way in the morning) and where I think they will be coming back to roost.   I dont want to set right on top of the area I think they are going to roost but do want to be able to call them in (blind -soft calling) for a look as they are ambling back to the roost area.  Worst case scenario is I have put myself in good position to put a bird to bed so I can hunt him the next day.

#2 - If I dont know the area- Im going to try and find a spot that I can hear and see for a good way's off.  Gobbling activity is a lot lower but if you do hear one, you got a good shot to get him cause he is more likely to be lonesome.  

Either way, afternoon hunting (for me at least) is a lot more of a patience game but if you're willing to sit back and relax while putting that time in the field a lot of time, it'll pay off for you cause there are less hunters and less hens to compete with.

In agreement with this and Hawken.....

I set up in spots determined by scouting and do call sequences very 15 minutes ........ I know some prefer to soft call but and I will make a couple soft call but then  I will absolutely crank it up And call loud so anything within 200 -300 yards will know where I'm at....I pick good set up spots, stay in shadows, build up a natural blind to some extent and expect birds to come in quiet.

unless it's really late in the afternoon to early evening I rarely have a bird gobble.....they just show up

(I'm in Georgia)

I have killed a lot of birds this way....it's not nearly as fun with Easterns for me because they don't gobble much if at all but they can be killed

out west including Texas they gobble pretty well in the afternoons which makes it easier

Kylongspur88

A little walking and calling to see if I can strike up a lonely bird. If the birds are tight lipped I'll set up on an open area like a hay field or pasture. Birds like to wander out there and chase bugs, kick over cow patties etc. By late afternoon a few hours before fly up I'll try to slip into where I think one might be heading to roost usually where I heard one that a.m. I don't want to get too close, and if no birds show up like others said I may be able to position one for the next day.

reynolds243

PA may be different then TN so keep that in mind but I have killed 80% of all my birds between 10-3pm. the morning is awesome but mid day hunting is where you can really shine. Find strut zones like open fields or logging roads. If you can get a bird to gobble during this time usually you can kill him if you play your cards right.

4nolz2

some of the best hunting is early in season when they are still roosting as a flock-set up near the roost a couple hours before flyup,call sparingly (every 30 minutes or so) with a lost call.The birds often dont gobble but "appear" or you see them coming fanned out.When you see him stop calling.

this has really worked for me since Florida started allowing afternoon hunting

bowhunter84

Quote from: redleg06 on February 19, 2011, 01:29:30 PM

#1- If I know the land and where the turkey prefer to go--- Ill  try to position myself between where I think the turkey are (maybe I know the area and habits of turkey or maybe I saw them head out that way in the morning) and where I think they will be coming back to roost.   I dont want to set right on top of the area I think they are going to roost but do want to be able to call them in (blind -soft calling) for a look as they are ambling back to the roost area.  Worst case scenario is I have put myself in good position to put a bird to bed so I can hunt him the next day.

#2 - If I dont know the area- Im going to try and find a spot that I can hear and see for a good way's off.  Gobbling activity is a lot lower but if you do hear one, you got a good shot to get him cause he is more likely to be lonesome. 

:agreed:

Timmer

Patterning certainly helps in any turkey situation.  Knowing where they are likely going to be and being there at the likely time increases your odds significantly.  Having said that, I travel to hunt, and don't have the luxury of patterning them beyond what the farmers happened to notice in the days prior to my arrival.

I have gotten the majority of my birds late morning and early afternoon.  I totally agree the toms are more willing to come looking since the hens have gone off to nest.  I don't have a ton of land and I can sneak hunt along the woodlines along the fields in a couple of hours.  I go slow, call every once in a while, and listen carefully for a response.  If the response is on my land, I'll try to work closer.  If it's not, I'll set up and work him for as long as it takes.  I've had several instances where I've worked birds from incredible distances and it's even lasted 2-3 hours. 

Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!