turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking to buy a NEF 10 ga single barrel; your opinion;

Started by rempumpman, January 17, 2012, 10:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rempumpman

Looking at the NEF 10 guage; nothing but turkey hunting and wondering what your opinion is; figure it would reach out there and touch em' if needed; thank you for any information............rem
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

WildTigerTrout

I had one a few years ago. It will make you a fine turkey gun. I traded mine only because I bought a Browning BPS. I really had no use for two 10 ga.'s.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

ken613

I say go for it!  There's no cheaper way into the 10 ga.  It will also give you an idea of whether its something you want to pursue further in the future.
My one recommendation would be the addition of a mercury recoil reducer in the buttstock.  Its a simple process that makes the recoil tolerable (more tolerable than my 835 with 3 1/2" loads).
Ken

MAGGUNS

The one I bought new last year came with some kind of recoil reducer in the buttstock from the factory. I never have taken it apart to see exactly what it is. Maybe an e-mail to H&R will tell you, or someone here could tell us.

paladin

I have one. It is heavy and awesome. I shoot 2.5 ounces of TSS#9.
It adds no range to killing power of pellets but does put more pellets on target.
It is as good or better than my 835. If you have a 835 I would not bother.
"have gun-will travel"

runngun

Get you one. I  have always hunted with a 12 bore until last year. I bought a Browning Gold 10 and I LOVE it.   Is it heavier, yes, do I need it no. But I had to have it. I love to hear that BIG BOOM, aint nothing like it.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

ken613

There is an iron bar in the butt stock as it comes from the factory.  This adds about 2 lbs to the overall weight of the shotgun.

To add the mercury recoil reducer, you simply order one of the correct length (and diameter), remove the iron bar and replace it with the mercury reducer.

Super simple and super effective.

ken

woodchip

I just bought one this year and like the gun.  I haven't done much patterning with it yet.  It kicks but not as bad as most people say.

Johnny Dingo in SC

I bought the NEF Pardner SB2, from a friend for $50.00. He only fired it a few times and didn't like the kick. I patterned it using Federal Premium turkey loads, 3-1/2", 2 oz. #5 with the flight control wad. It patterns VERY nicely, and I think it will be good to 40+ yds. I will say that the kick is a bit tough, but I still like it. Hopefully, after I kill some longbeards with it my opinion will be even higher!

deadbuck

You will either love it or hate it after you lug it around on a few long hunts. You will know 100% which it is.