turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Toying with getting my son a pump 20

Started by chatterbox, January 01, 2012, 07:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

For next spring. I can pick up an all camoed Moss 500 for 326.00 at my local gun shop.
Now, as far as loads go, we can't shoot 7's in NH, so 6's it's gonna be. What would be a good choke/load combo for a realistic 40 yard gun(min 100 pellets in the 10" circle at 40)?

Tom Dooley

My son shoots a Mossberg Bantam 500 with a .572 Undertaker choke and #6 Hevi Shot. It will shoot 115-120 in a 10" circle at 40yrds. He has taken turkeys at 40 and I would not hesitate to let him take that shot again.

hookedspur

Take a look at Rem. 870 compact and hold the Moss. and the Rem. before you make a choice.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Eric Gregg

Check out the 870 if you get a chance. Should be around the same price range of the Mossy. Either company is great....and really depends on what personally fits the shooter. I am small statured and that compact fits like a custom made gun.

Either way you are a winner :z-guntootsmiley:

Crappiepro

I was able to get the grand daughter a Wichester 1300 20ga. youth model speed pump. It was used but you couldn't tell LOL. This is a really nice youth gun! I maybe taken it to the woods with me on a trip or 2. It fits her well and has the relief of the pump cycle that comes way back for her shorter arms. Her gun will be set up for 6 shot too I hope.

chatterbox

sugarray

Mike, the 870 is the way to go.  Get the synthetic and add a Knoxx Spec- Ops recoil reducing stock.  I have put that stock on my 870 and FILs 7400 .243.  Really makes it easy to get the right LOP and the pistol grip is easy to hold.  My boy loves it and my daughter is now talking about going.  I am about to pee my pants with excitement if I can get her a turkey and a deer this upcoming year too!!! And of course another for my son!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sugarray

I got each stock for right at $100 with shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chatterbox

Thanks Ray! I'm seriously thinking the youth 870 with a knoxx stock for him.
We can now shoot #7 in NH, so I'm gonna look into the fedral HW loads. Just have to find the right choke.

sugarray

Look into the Rem SF as well as try to find a Hastings .562 and the PG .555 if you can.  The Hastings worked the best for me with my TSS, let me see what I can find with the HS and Feds in my patterns.

sugarray

Here are my patterns from last spring.  Rem 870 youth, 22" barrel.

Hevi Shot 1 1/4 oz #7
Rem SF

Hasting .562

Fed HW 1 1/2 oz #7
Rem SF

Hastings .562

Then one with the Hastings .562 and TSS 1 7/16 oz #9

chatterbox

Thank you Ray!
Those are some great patterns! I really like the 870 with a knoxx stock. I believe that is gonna be the way to go!