turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

(newbie help)Budget turkey choke an lead load combo

Started by ohiomossyoak, December 21, 2011, 01:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiomossyoak

Howdy,Im a bit new to turkey hunting..I picked up a Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag with 24in barrel,woodland camo with a drilled an tapped receiver...Where do i start choke,and load wise?I dont mind spending up to 30-50$ for choke an 15 to 20$ for 10 rounds of lead...Any thoughts?What is a reasonably priced red dot that will work? I look forward to learning from all of you
"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

dirt road ninja

ohiomossyoak ,

Dollar for dollar the Primos Jellyhead is solid choke in the 835's. If you keep an eye on the classifieds here you should be able to pick up a quality choke used for 40% - 50% under retail.

As far as lead goes the Winchester HV #6 is a decent shell. I would venture to say your gun with the factory turkey choke and some Heavy 13's #7's will put up better numbers then a aftermarket choke with lead. Mine does. If your looking to put up big numbers on the pattern board your going to have to shoot a heavy shot., but I've killed turkeys with both and they never knew the difference.

I currently don't shoot a scoped turkey gun, but have had very good luck the Tru-Glo magmun series open sights. They are easy to install, rock solid and have withstood a plenty of 3.5" rounds. They sell for around 60 bucks.

The 835's are great turkey guns and seem to be a little easier to performance out of then most other guns.

Good Luck.

dawei

Quote from: ohiomossyoak on December 21, 2011, 01:09:14 PMHowdy, I'm a bit new to turkey hunting.. I picked up a Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag with 24in barrel, woodland camo with a drilled an tapped receiver... Where do I start choke, and load wise? I dont mind spending up to 30-50$ for choke an 15 to 20$ for 10 rounds of lead... Any thoughts? What is a reasonably priced red dot that will work? I look forward to learning from all of you
I would recommend the following Pb (lead) loads.....
• Federal® Flitecontrol® Mag-Shok™ 3" Mag #PFC159F
• Federal® Flitecontrol® Mag-Shok™ 3½" Mag #PFC135F
• Winchester® SuperX® 3" Mag #X123MT
• Winchester® Supreme® 3½" Mag #STH1235

You will want to try these in #4, 5, & 6 shot within the same brand to see what patterns the best in your gun. IME, Mossberg® Ulti-Mag® Mdl 835 shotguns pattern larger Pb shot (#4 & 5) really well.

As for chokes try TruGlo® Strut Stopper Xtreme™, Primos® Jellyhead™, or Indian Creek®'

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

chatterbox

Kylongspur88

put some Winn supreme HV's through your factory turkey choke. All my buddies that shoot mossbergs have good results with that combo. I would only buy the federals if I had some money to play with. Your gun might like them, but chances are good it might not. Winnchester is the way to got with lead IMO.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on December 21, 2011, 11:15:54 PM
put some Winn supreme HV's through your factory turkey choke. All my buddies that shoot mossbergs have good results with that combo. I would only buy the federals if I had some money to play with. Your gun might like them, but chances are good it might not. Winnchester is the way to got with lead IMO.

Agreed.  I'd try the Win HV 3.5-2-6's and Win XX 3.5-2.25-6's with the factory choke first.

As for sights, the only thing I can recommend is William's Fire Sights, because that's all I use.

ohiomossyoak

Sounds like i may have some good starting points..Thanks
"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)

ohiomossyoak

chatterbox

The Winchester XX Magnum turkey shells(red shell) in the 3.5-2.25-6 is a very good lead load.
The 835's have an overbored barrel, and really like to eat. Combine that with a good turkey choke, and you will have a 35-40 yard killer on your hands!

BHhunter

I recently had an 835 and used the stock Ulti Full turkey choke with Federal Flight Control wads 5 shot 3.5". It put up a good pattern to 35 yards. I tried a Comp-N-Choke and Win #4 and #5 and it didn't do as well as the stock choke with Federal. I didn't have the $$$ at the time to try other chokes and loads, so you may get significantly better with the chokes others have mentioned.
Now if you want to be baffled with hits in a 10" at 40 yards, try the Hevi-13 #7. Major drawback here is the cost. See my post under "turkey Guns" for my results with my new 935, it amazed me!

ohiomossyoak

Quote from: chatterbox on December 26, 2011, 06:27:44 PM
The Winchester XX Magnum turkey shells(red shell) in the 3.5-2-6 is a very good lead load.
The 835's have an overbored barrel, and really like to eat. Combine that with a good turkey choke, and you will have a 35-40 yard killer on your hands!

Are those the silver grey box?

chatterbox

Quote from: ohiomossyoak on December 27, 2011, 10:59:16 AM
Quote from: chatterbox on December 26, 2011, 06:27:44 PM
The Winchester XX Magnum turkey shells(red shell) in the 3.5-2-6 is a very good lead load.

Are those the silver grey box?
Here is a description from Cabelas. These are actually 2.25oz in the 3.5 shell.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Winchester-Supreme-Double-X-Magnum-Turkey-Loads/740968.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dwinchester%2BXX%2Bmagnum%2Bturkey%2Bloads%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D9%26y%3D11&Ntt=winchester+XX+magnum+turkey+loads

ohiomossyoak

Winchester® 12 Gauge 3 1/2", 2 1/4 oz. Supreme Double X® Magnum Copper Plated Turkey Loads???Am I on track?

mightyjoeyoung

You betcha.  Those, or the Federal loads like the ones I posted up.   :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

surehuntsalot

the Winchester XX 3.5" Magnums or the" OLD" Federal 3.5" Magnums in #5's or 6's with a .670 to .680 choke tube are deadly in the 835
the newer "Flight control"Federal shells are deadly with the factory full choke out to 45 yds in my 835
it's not the harvest,it's the chase