OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I hope the magblend 10 gets out soon...

Started by gobbler74, November 14, 2011, 12:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

Remington - has simply ignored turkey hunting as a whole for a long time - prior to the hevi shot agreement there last dabbling in turkey loads was the Duplex loads  

Federal - has a bad case of the " flightwads" and from what I can gather they are under the impression the flightwad is the cure-all from everything from ducks, geese and turkeys too -

Winchester has some good loads but need to get some 20 and 10 gauge loads for production , they would do well with introducing some #7 loads in what they offer right now

Kent - has a matrix waterfowl load I don't know too much about , if ever offered in 12gg and #6-7 and was matched up with the right wad and powder they could have potential in the turkey biz-  they have a marix in #5 , they need to step it up with denser loads with smaller sizes ---Kent is a smaller company that produces some very good quality waterfowl loads - somewhere in there history there was a affiliation with activ- remember those 2.25 active nickel loads in the all plastic hull - those were hot stuff back in the day - anyway I think people should mass email Kent to get them to make a good turkey load --   smaller companies tend to listen to the customer better - thats how you grow  

http://www.kentgamebore.com/tungsten_matrix_waterfowl.asp
http://www.kentgamebore.com/tungsten_matrix_high_performance.asp
"Whenever you have any questions regarding Kent Cartridge...
United States
Phone:(888) 311-Kent (5368)
Fax:(304) 725-0454
E-mail:KentWV@KentGamebore.com
Canada
Phone:(800) 844-1880
Fax:(905) 294-4921
E-mail:KentC@KentGamebore.com"
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

gobbler74

I fooled with fiocchi years ago...I tell you what. Dont know why they dont experiment with wads and such..that 3.5 "12 ga load is 2-3/8 oz of nickelplated lead..and its not bad at 40...especially at 9.99 for 10 shells. It doesnt pattern have as well as it recoils though. thats probably the worst I have shot aside from the original H517 but its all in the numbers..what goes out the barrel is coming towards the stock as far as recoil goes. They use no buffer so guess that how they get the 2-3/8 oz in it but it still has great velocity.   
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Old Gobbler

Fiocchi always had some fast loads even back in the day  -Sadly  I never had any luck getting them to shoot tight

-Shannon

gobbler74

Quote from: Old Gobbler on November 15, 2011, 10:26:58 PM
Fiocchi always had some fast loads even back in the day  -Sadly  I never had any luck getting them to shoot tight
Agreed...I was probably 80-90 hits in a 10 at 40. If a fella had real dense cover and short yardage shots @30 constantly it would be a decent shell. past 35 yards it opens up like throwing a handful of rocks..They seem to use good primers and powder because the shells crack like a 300 Win mag. I had just as good performance with Win steel as Kent fast steel but really like the Kent fastlead rounds.. great velocity and patterns. Heck on grouse and rabbits
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Old Gobbler

Quote from: gobbler74 on November 15, 2011, 10:35:47 PM
Quote from: Old Gobbler on November 15, 2011, 10:26:58 PM
Agreed...I was probably 80-90 hits in a 10 at 40. If a fella had real dense cover and short yardage shots @30 constantly it would be a decent shell. past 35 yards it opens up like throwing a handful of rocks..They seem to use good primers and powder because the shells crack like a 300 Win mag. I had just as good performance with Win steel as Kent fast steel but really like the Kent fastlead rounds.. great velocity and patterns. Heck on grouse and rabbits
I was lucky to get 70out of a 3" 12 fiocchi

I think Kent ammo is prime for some lobbying for a serious turkey load - Im not sure the density of their "matrix" load but from what I can gather it is a blend of tungsten and plastic polymers - if they can alter it to 12gg and make it hard , drop the FPS , ramp up the payload and get matched up with a good wad and powder they will be gold - heck there is tons of reloading info on this , they could use whats out there to come up with a viable offering - Kent has done very well for itself with the fast steel

- ammo companies love duck hunters because they chew through ammo - turkey hunters on the other hand are largely ignored , because most of them  tend to only go through a few rounds each year

-Shannon

LBSS

Well if they only go through a few shells a year the manufactures should do limited runs of tss.
For me I want to play around when nickel pb lead #4 s . I think I can I can get up to 120 in a 10" @40 yds and a reddot to correct the poi.

LBSS

Im having to make my pattern board larger I think the core pattern is far left.

gobblergls

I'd check the poa/poi at 20 yards and adjust poa accordingly for 40 yds using what you already have for a pattern board.

LBSS

A box if win hv lead loads for my 10ga run 23$for locally if I have to pay 10$ more box for a load that will put 3xmy pattern at 40 yards ill pay that