turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I hope the magblend 10 gets out soon...

Started by gobbler74, November 14, 2011, 12:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

Here is a promo from new products for 2012. I heard december last time around.. This stuff shoots great. I was able to fire a couple test boxes in a couple chokes awhile back. This is one load I'm actually looking forward to seeing in production   :anim_25:

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Hognutz

They need to get it out on the market. I hope that they don't drag their feet... :z-guntootsmiley:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Basser69

Geez, I wish they would hurry up. I have a pile of basspro points that I am waiting to use  :toothy12:

gobbler74

Quote from: Basser69 on November 14, 2011, 03:54:53 PM
Geez, I wish they would hurry up. I have a pile of basspro points that I am waiting to use  :toothy12:
I started a cabelas points club awhile back. I just wonder if those places will carry them. It all depends on the vendors. Id say midsouth will be a strong supplier. You guys  can send some emails their way and start requesting it..thats the only way they will get an idea to stock up. Remember the first year EM made the 12 ga 7's? most places sold out due to lack of vendor orders. EM has pallets of the stuff for sale but the vendors dropped the ball. They were thinking like most places "that 4's, 5'S and 6's would be the usual.   
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Old Gobbler

Im going to load up on some of those when they hit the streets , you have to be cautious with this hard to get items like 10 gauge , so if they shoot well for you buy{hoard} up as much as you can - you never know ....

I really don't see any other ammo maker other than nitro or EM ever making a serious turkey load ever in the future -

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

woodchip

I can't wait to get my hands on that stuff!!!

LBSS

Quote from: Old Gobbler on November 14, 2011, 10:14:31 PM
Im going to load up on some of those when they hit the streets , you have to be cautious with this hard to g

et items like 10 gauge , so if they shoot well for you buy{hoard} up as much as you can - you never know ....

I really don't see any other ammo maker other than nitro or EM ever making a serious turkey load ever in the future -

What would be a serious 10ga turkey load?  More payload or velocity?  I have got good clean kills with the remington p10hm4.  I havnt pattern those but they hit hard.  I wish winchester would have made the xtended range in 10ga

gobbler74

Speed, weight of pellet and total payload combined with pattern performance is basically the recipe for a turkey load in my opinion. Its hard to say whats the best. Debate over how loads perform in one gun to the next, affordability and availability all play a part and really is a part of why we talk about it on forums. The best one can do to get the pattern they are happy with is up to them. Using all the above also plays a factor in knowing your shotgun and its effective range. Some shoot lead, some shoot hevi, tss, As long as we shoot in our guns effective range is all that matters. Maybe 1 turkey in 10 the last few years Ive killed I would have doubted if I could have taken it with a 20 ga. I carry a 12 and 10 most of the time.

If you were 1500 miles from home on the last day of a week long hard hunt with no chance yet to get in position until one opportunity arises, An old leary gobbler raises his head at 50 yards gives you that look, would you be satisfied with a standard light load from a stock gun not knowing its performance or rather send all you had in your means to put him over your shoulder. Taking our shots inside 20 yards is what we all work for but it just dont work out like that all the time. I think hevi shot in whatever form is just a more effective killing tool than the shells of years past. The most important tools are the hunters skill in the woods and making the decision not to wound or taking a desparation shot.     

LBSS

LBSS

Be a serious 10 ga shell have to do to have a real gain over the 12 ga 3.5 in both lead and grl?

gobbler74

Quote from: LBSS on November 15, 2011, 08:51:19 PM
Be a serious 10 ga shell have to do to have a real gain over the 12 ga 3.5 in both lead and grl?
same speed or faster, heaver payload with equal or denser pellets.. Only way to get that now is hevi shot. Lead 10 ga loads have hardly any advantage. I believe the bore does help but Mossberg figured that out too, thats why the 835 is near a 10 ga bore and the patterns are so good from those. If tss were at a production level for a 10 ga...well I know what I'd shoot  ;) Id like to see a 2-1/4 oz load of HW from federal but dont know how and keep it at 1300. 

gobbler74

I bought some federal HW # 4'S for 12 ga 50% off a case last year..thats a great shell for geese or predator in a combo. Its comes in around 1450fps lighter load than a turkey shell but man that stuff dont play on the business end. Fed makes it in a 2 oz load for the 10 in #2's as well at 1300 fps..A fella could use that on pretty much anything he had to in a pinch.     

Old Gobbler

Quote from: LBSS on November 15, 2011, 08:51:19 PM
I'm referring to a 10gauge equivalent of what some of the companies offer with a modern HTL offering - A example would be Winchesters Elite load or the EM magnum blend load {soon to be offered  }

I know some of us have no problem with using what has worked well in the past , that's fine if your satisfied with what you use and it works for your needs -
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

gobbler74

I look for Win Elite to make a move for newer shells but dont know about for 10...
Now to blow all our minds... Remington has been dead in the water for the last 5 years. Id like to see them step up and put down some new stuff.     

LBSS

Its funny since win made the 3.5" 10 ga. I mean I don't want a blindside 10 ga load but the xtended range would be fun.  And as far a remington I doubt it.  They just discontinued their wimgmaster hd.
I've seen loading data fir tungsten matrix for the 10ga don't know if it would make good turkey shotbor not I think its the same density as lead.  Soft to a for tight chokes.  Its about near endless the stuff you can load in a shotshell nowb what you load to effectiveness is another story