OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

mossy super bantam for dove and ducks...

Started by tiggere, August 20, 2011, 04:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiggere

Hey guys was wondering if any of you use your little 20's for dove's and ducks...I am looking for a choke tube for my sons Super Bantam and with that 21" barrel I was thinking a Kicks High Flyer in Full choke should be about perfect...I am under the assumption that the shorter barrel is going to open the pattern up more than the typical 26"/28" barrel would so we would need to go with the full over the mod...does that sound about right?...got another choke tube I should look at for doves and ducks?

gobblergls

I've got one, but it's set up with a red dot sight and it's a dedicated turkey buster only.  I would think a modified choke would be a better choice for dove and ducks.  It comes with a full choke.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SumToy

a few companies that make good one.  SumToy Fowl Play, Kick's High Flyer and Pure Gold has one.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

tiggere

Here's a little info I got from kicks this morning...the Kicks Vortex (for black cloud ammo) in a full choke will shoot lead shot like a modified...and shoot steel/Hevi like a full ...they recommended the full choke for the opening of the pattern with lead shot for doves...should be a perfect fit...now if I can just find one :/...

gobblergls

I did a little reading on the Vortex and it was designed for the Federal Black Cloud ammo which uses the Flite Control Wad. The constriction is no where near as tight  as what has been effective with conventional wads.  I saw a report where the wad didn't disperse and slug tight patterns were found at 40 yards in 10% of shots by a guy who shot over 60 rounds of BC.
If it were me, I would do a little more research as to that choke.  We know what works in the Mossy with T9 and Hevi-Shot for tight turkey patterns and it's a constriction of about .570.  The tightest choke for 20 gauge in the Vortex is .605-.610 depending on gun make.  You can get a better choke for turkeys (IC, SumToy, PG) and spend $20 at Bass Pro for a flush mounted choke for lead in modified for doves.  "You pays your money and you takes your chances."  The Vortex is between $60-70.

tiggere

this is not for turkeys and my factory choke that came with it was an x-full...but I read the same thing on one of the other forums...the thing is with these short barrels (22" is short for a duck/dove barrel) and a choke designed for steel they are all going to be a bit "open"...they have to be to shoot the steel and pattern well (lead compresses...steel not so much)...so I should be able to find a steel (designed to shoot steel) choke that will be a light modified when shooting lead (which the Kicks Vortex is/does)...therefore getting the best of both without having to buy a separate choke every time I want to do something else besides turkey hunt...I'm not stuck on the Black Cloud ammo and have no issue shooting Kent Steel or Fed or Win stuff...but would prefer a non ported for that "wonder what BC patterns like" moment...

I plan to get a PG for Hevi-shot/Fed/Win HTL loads for turkey hunting and get rid of the factory x-full choke...the factory choke is only good for about 25 yards in the 20 gauge with lead...so with just two chokes I should be able to cover 95% of the hunting my son will be doing with the gun...the reason I don't go with an IC or PG is they don't make one in a 20 gauge for duck/doves...and the Sumtoys don't offer much description on their page as to constriction or if they even make one for a 20...I know he responded saying he made the "Fowl Play"...and he pointed to the Kicks HF but the HF is the exact same constriction as the Vortex...only difference being its ported...PG like I said above does not make one for the 20 in the "Tempest"...so I'm not left with many options...I did research it and that's the very reason I asked because I wasn't coming up with other options and I thought I might have missed something...

BTW...Bradley at PG just told me the same thing on the phone...a full in a steel choke will be a light modified shooting lead...

Quote from: gobblergls on August 22, 2011, 04:22:36 PM
I did a little reading on the Vortex and it was designed for the Federal Black Cloud ammo which uses the Flite Control Wad. The constriction is no where near as tight  as what has been effective with conventional wads.  I saw a report where the wad didn't disperse and slug tight patterns were found at 40 yards in 10% of shots by a guy who shot over 60 rounds of BC.
If it were me, I would do a little more research as to that choke.  We know what works in the Mossy with T9 and Hevi-Shot for tight turkey patterns and it's a constriction of about .570.  The tightest choke for 20 gauge in the Vortex is .605-.610 depending on gun make.  You can get a better choke for turkeys (IC, SumToy, PG) and spend $20 at Bass Pro for a flush mounted choke for lead in modified for doves.  "You pays your money and you takes your chances."  The Vortex is between $60-70.

SumToy

I will look up a pattern out of a 21 inch youth 870 with steel shot.  They will shoot.  You can run the same choke for dove and duck.   

[attachment deleted by admin]
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA