OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossy 500

Started by Deputy 14, July 29, 2011, 12:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deputy 14

I have an older mossy 500 20 ga. and considering giving it some new life. Any of you guys shooting them?  If so what choke/load would you recommend?  The gun is about 15 years old if that matters.

gobblergls

I don't think age matters a bit as long as it isn't worn out--and I doubt that it is.  Load/choke?  They are dependent on each other.  Do you plan on shooting, lead, heavy shot, tungsten?  Are going to load your own? 

Spend some time looking at earlier threads--there are several on Mossy 20s, including mine regarding my Super Bantam 20.  It's just a small Mossy 500 in 20 gauge.  I have built my gun around Tungsten 9s.  Others use Hevi shot.  I use Pure Gold chokes, others prefer SumToy and IC.  The tungsten shot sold by  is about as good as it gets, but it is very expensive.

dawei

Quote from: Deputy 14 on July 29, 2011, 12:01:22 AMI have an older mossy 500 20 ga. and considering giving it some new life. Any of you guys shooting them?  If so what choke/load would you recommend?  The gun is about 15 years old if that matters.
I've been turkey hunting with a Mossberg® 20ga since 2000. I use two chokes......
• Hastings® Extended Turkey Choke .570"
• Wrights® SWARM® Extended Turkey Choke .555"

I mostly use Pb; and, I have a horded stash of old, original Remington® Hevi•Shot®. My last gobbler was shot with Pb using this gun at 42yds. The Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20ga will certainly do the job on big gobblers!

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Luke95

Sumtoy 562 with in this order
Tungsten 9
Hevi 6#
Federal 7s
Winchester 5 PB

Luke95
Sumtoy Get Choked

Deputy 14

Sounds good guys. I appreciate the input. Guess there is nothing left to do but spend money.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: dawei on July 29, 2011, 08:42:49 PM
Quote from: Deputy 14 on July 29, 2011, 12:01:22 AMI have an older mossy 500 20 ga. and considering giving it some new life. Any of you guys shooting them?  If so what choke/load would you recommend?  The gun is about 15 years old if that matters.
I've been turkey hunting with a Mossberg® 20ga since 2000. I use two chokes......
• Hastings® Extended Turkey Choke .570"
• Wrights® SWARM® Extended Turkey Choke .555"

I mostly use Pb; and, I have a horded stash of old, original Remington® Hevi•Shot®. My last gobbler was shot with Pb using this gun at 42yds. The Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20ga will certainly do the job on big gobblers!

I also have a stash of the "old" Remington Hevishot stored away for a rainy day
my 20ga 870 really loves that stuff,but the birds hate it
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Deputy 14 on July 29, 2011, 12:01:22 AM
I have an older mossy 500 20 ga. and considering giving it some new life. Any of you guys shooting them?  If so what choke/load would you recommend?  The gun is about 15 years old if that matters.

I am currently working with a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 to try to find what works best with it. I have a variety of turkey chokes and all of the commercially available shotshells in both lead and tungsten-based shot that I can find. I also have some of the old Remington Hevi-Shot loads and some of the "factory" loaded TSS shells in #7 and #8 shot. I'd hoped to have found the best combination by this time but unfortunately, other matters have taken priority. If possible, I plan to work more on that project in the next 30 days.

Included in the chokes I'm trying are 2 prototypes that are showing real promise. I should have 2 more prototypes very soon to try as well. There is a lot of interest in the 20 gauge Mossberg guns right now.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

chatterbox

Quote from: allaboutshooting on August 11, 2011, 10:34:37 AM
Quote from: Deputy 14 on July 29, 2011, 12:01:22 AM

I am currently working with a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 to try to find what works best with it. I have a variety of turkey chokes and all of the commercially available shotshells in both lead and tungsten-based shot that I can find. I also have some of the old Remington Hevi-Shot loads and some of the "factory" loaded TSS shells in #7 and #8 shot. I'd hoped to have found the best combination by this time but unfortunately, other matters have taken priority. If possible, I plan to work more on that project in the next 30 days.

Included in the chokes I'm trying are 2 prototypes that are showing real promise. I should have 2 more prototypes very soon to try as well. There is a lot of interest in the 20 gauge Mossberg guns right now.

Thanks,
Clark
Keep us posted, Clark! That's gonna be Harrison's next turkey slayer!