Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Braved the heat and done some patterning yesterday.

Started by woodchip, July 21, 2011, 01:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodchip

I got out and done some patterning with my 870 20ga despite the heat yesterday.  This 870 has a 26" barrel and it has been polished.  The patterns were all shot at 40yds from a steady rest and very little wind if any.    The Hevishot H-13s in #7 put up a few less pellets but the 20" is more even so I think I will use it this Fall.  The barrel was cleaned between each shot and the Feds still didn't seem very consistant, the first shot put up 117 and the second put up 87.  I also shot some Federal HW in #6 but they didn't do well enough to post pics.  I'd like for it to pattern a little better but it should knock them dead.

[attachment deleted by admin]

woodchip

rtsj

rtsj

My Bad,  didnt notice that on the patterns.  Thats what happens when your on Old Gobbler when you should be working! :you_rock:

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

woodchip

Just looking at this pic I think I can move the circle up on that 115 HeviShot pattern up and to the right and probably get 120 or so out of it and it will have better coverage.  Also I am going to have to adjust my POA and POI some more.  The 114 pattern was the last shot (and shell I had) after adjusting the sights, and I moved them too much.  I still have the paper so I'll have to move it and recount.  I plan on using this gun this Fall to test it for use during the Spring of 2012 season.

surehuntsalot

Mr Gobbler would be in serious trouble with any of those patterns
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

woodchip

I finally got around to moving the circle and recounting.  I moved the Hevishot with 115 pellets up and to the right slightly and recounted.  I got 126 in the new 10".  Our Fall shotgun season comes in during October, and I'm looking forward to it!