OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What would you do?

Started by zelmo1, April 20, 2024, 08:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

No right or wrong answer here, just opinions. I have a spot that has a boss Tom with 5-8 hens. There is a fine 2 year old that tries his best to get some action, but the " bully" keeps running him off. My question is, do you shoot the 2 year old if you get an opportunity?, or do you wait for the boss? I have made this my #1 hit list bird. So when I get a day to hunt by myself, I will try this bird. Just killin time till I can hunt here. Good luck and god bless. Z

MossyOak92

I would shoot which ever gives me an opportunity. But it is also better for your turkey population to leave the boss alone and let him do his thing.

SwampRooster17

I would kill either one just depending one which one came in first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkey stew

Nothing wrong with shooting the 2 year old unless you are willing to match witts with the boss gobbler! Also, how starved are you for fresh wild turkey? :funnyturkey:

Happy

Go kill some turkeys and save the last tag for him.

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

Depending on the number of tags, if i had 2 tags whichever one gave me the opportunity would take a ride home...

squidd

Tom007

First clean 35 yard or less shot, BANG!
"Solo hunter"

runngun

I would shoot whichever one gives me a chance. Bird in the hand beats 2 in the bushes!!!
If I had other places to hunt, I would not take both birds off the one area.

Have a good one and May God bless y'all!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Twowithone

1st Gobbler that gave you the opportunity for a kill shot. Old wiley gobblers have been fooling turkey hunters for awhile now. :OGturkeyhead:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Tnandy

I know you said opinions, so here I go, lol. It sounds like to me, if I am guessing right, which one that you are really interested in killing is the old boss. Everyone is different but there has been times that I dedicated more time to "one certain bird"  more than others. I guess it depends on how much time you got left, tags etc... Me thinks you would be more tickled with the old man more than the other. Happy hunting and good luck.

Zobo

You shouldn't shoot the two year old. You sorta answered your own question, shoot the one on your hit list. That's the one you really want, the bully.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Turkeyman

If you have two tags kill them both...kill order doesn't matter.

Wigsplitter

Yoder409

Guess you gotta ask yourself how BADLY is he #1 ??  How prioritized is he ??

I've let longbeards walk in hopes of the next one I called in was a fatter or longer beard yet.  I've also been after a particular bird and whacked another one who showed his noggin first.  But, I very rarely get hung up on killing one particular bird.  I'm more of a "case-by-case basis" kinda guy.   If I did have a bird that I felt I really just HAD to hang a tag on......... I'd have tunnel vision til he was dead or the season was over.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.