OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I need help, advice, opinions, anything...

Started by sswv, April 18, 2024, 08:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sswv

First off, I have been shooting and hunting for well over 50 years and never had a problem with shotguns BUT, I have recently developed a terrible problem. Every shotgun I own/shoot shoots to the right when shooting off the bead. This just started and I'm "thinking" it may be due in part to two very bad shoulders. I have trouble getting my arms up anymore. Anyway, I shoot off a bench with sandbags sometimes and sometimes I shoot from my turkey seat resting off my knee. I always take my time and relax and follow thru each shot. I know a little about cast and I'm thinking I may have to adjust my stocks to help correct this new problem but not sure which direction (right or left)? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I have added two targets to give y'all an idea of what I'm dealing with.

thanks in advance

Elidepew05

I shoot trap to adjust the comb you do opposite. So if you wanted to move your pattern right you'd move your comb left. So should be the same with the stock of the gun I do believe.

WV Flopper

Hummmm, you are correct in your thinking. I shoot a nice sporter Anshutz 22lr, a lot. It shots great. It makes a large difference in POI how I mount the gun. I set on a bench for hours and look at my groups moving only because of my mounting to my shoulder and cheek weld.

The only thing I can offer is to find consistency in your mounting of the gun and be sure to bury your cheek the same every time. Not much help, but the best I can do.

Treerooster

It's the same as sighting in a rifle...kind of. You move the rear sight the way you want the bullet or pattern to go. On a shotgun shooting beads, your eye is the rear sight. So you need to move your eye the way you want your pattern to go.

In this case you move your eye left. Assuming your are right handed, one way to do that is with a foam sleeve that goes over the stock. You may need to put some pads on the side to move your eye far enough. Just try it and see. The thing you have to keep in mind is the foam pad will raise your pattern a bit when it goes over the top of the stock. Another just try and see what happens.

Ihuntoldschool

Good advice given above.

You might want to try a different shell to confirm it's you shooting left and not those Federal 5s. Different brands and or sizes of shot often shoot different places even with same gun/choke

You might find a red dot sight makes things easier for you.

Ihuntoldschool

zelmo1

Gun mount due to physical changes is usually the culprit if using the same ammo. The above advice is true, you need to get back to a neutral spot. If you are sticking to the bead shooting, the cheek pad works if you are shooting to the right. Z

Sir-diealot

Just a thought not related to shooting itself, have you had your eyes examined lately? I am only 54 and my eyes are going fast, I get a new pair of glasses and they seem like they are okay for a week and then everything is blurry, I can read on the computer and phone because I can make everything big but I have not been able to read a book for about 2 years and it is heartbreaking because I have a lot of books I have purchased on turkey hunting and photography and I can't read either.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

sswv

thanks for all the replies everyone. I have shot several different brands and lengths of ammo as well as shot size, everything from #4 to chilled #7.5 and done so thru several different chokes. Every combo yields the same results and, the eyes are good.  Might try a temporary shim to change the cast. I'm guessing as with all other sight adjustments the stock should be shimmed so it's more to the left considering I'm shooting right hand?

Treerooster

No guessing, your eye, or the stock, needs to go left. Some guns come with shim kits, most do not. You may be able to make a makeshift shimm but my guess is not enough to move the pattern as much as it needs. With a gun not designed for shims the stock bolt only has so much play in it and movement is limited. You don't want to stress things toom much as damage can occur. There is some force when shooting these high magnum turkey loads.

That's why I suggested the foam sleeve that can be added to until it's enough. The rub being the top of the sleeve will raise your eye slightly, about 1/8". This may be negated by adding one of those magnetic beads (some sit higher than others) you can put on a shotgun rib. By raising the bead you lower the pattern or cancel the affect of raising your eye. The amount you can raise the bead is limited but could be enough.

To try all this you can just tape or rubber band some foam to your stock. When you get sighted in make a more permanent set up.

Or...as suggested get some sights. Not always possible and more expensive too.

runngun

If it was my gun, I would bend the barrel. I have done several. 3 blocks of wood and a big hammer. And work slowly, a little bit at a time.
Have a good one and May God bless y'all.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

sswv

I think I have corrected the problem with a little time in the garage. I did a little rasp work on the synthetic stock and it seemed to work perfect. No gap what so ever where the stock and receiver meet. Pretty darn good if I say so myself. Just enough to the left to center the pattern. And while I was at it I shot a Federal TSS #9 for the first time and I am pleased with that result as well.  Thank everyone for your help with this issue.

sswv

that's 40 laser measured yards and that's the back side of the turkey target I shot and that's a 10" circle.  I'm sure I could try different chokes and put a lot more pellets in that circle but I like that pattern.

Notsoyoungturk

Nothing wrong with that pattern.  It will kill a bird all day long.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Tail Feathers

I'd say you got it just right now. Good hunting!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!