OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

box call chalk

Started by tlewis81, April 13, 2024, 10:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlewis81

not a box guy....anyone have preferences on chalk and different sounds from the chalk or maybe how long it pasts on the call....and if u do have preference where do u find the chalk

outdoornut

I like white carpenter chalk from hardware store . That's what Steve Mann sends with his calls and said that's what Neil Cost taught him to use.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

paboxcall

I've grown to appreciate rain chalk on my boxes.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Spring Creek Calls

Rain Chalk  or Dixon white.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

boatpaddle

Billy Bush sent me a stick of rosewood chalk....It works great...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Greg Massey

Depending on the call, i let the call tell me what chalk it likes... Old red brick, blue chalk that David Halloran sells,  the old brown perfection sphere chalk and sometimes white chalk... I've been known to mix 2 colors also...   This all depends on the sound i'm looking for in my calls...

The Primos red or new green little sticks of chalk is good chalk also..

I do not care for rain chalk myself ...

vt35mag

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 13, 2024, 05:03:11 PM
Depending on the call, i let the call tell me what chalk it likes... Old red brick, blue chalk that David Halloran sells,  the old brown perfection sphere chalk and sometimes white chalk... I've been known to mix 2 colors also...   This all depends on the sound i'm looking for in my calls...

The Primos red or new green little sticks of chalk is good chalk also..

I do not care for rain chalk myself ...
Same here, on all fronts but I only play with the red and white. I have moved away from the blue.

Every call is different. Some you will find run better chalked up (some seem to eat it), some light, and some none or next to none.
Some calls I might chalk first thing in the morning and not rechalk the rest of the hunt, and some I hit every or every other time it comes out of the vest.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

merriamsman

boatpaddle, what is 'rosewood chalk'?

Lcmacd 58

boatpaddle, what is 'rosewood chalk'?

I'd like to know also

Sir-diealot

Most of mine seem to like the red but others prefer the blue and others yet the white. I find I like the red as it tends to work better with most of my other friction calls as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Alabama556

I find it amazing that different calls like different chalk. I have a world class chalk collection and enough to last us all a lifetime but each call sounds different with different chalk.

I find the primos chalk works on most boxes but I have a couple that like rain chalk.

I can't remember who but a call maker sent me several pieces of the old brown chalk you can't get anymore and it sounds good.

Blue chalk seems to be my least favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatpaddle

Rosewood chalk is a finer grade of chalk, it's thinner then regular, school board chalk.

It can be found at hobby lobby in the art supply area...

Would pictures help ???

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

SwampRooster17

Another vote for rain chalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merriamsman

boatpaddle, thanks for that information. If you're not kidding about a picture, that would be great.

eddie234

I've started using rain chalk and it seems to work very well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro