turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Joined the trumpet family

Started by Joneshunter, April 10, 2024, 08:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joneshunter

I've been using pot calls and I'm pretty dang good on them I'd say, but I've always been eyeing down an ole trumpet. I made a river cane call at my house last season it was fun to screw around with but I never really took it to the woods. Well the other day I messaged my buddy Mike Robare and got a trumpet made from him that just came in today. Maybe my experience from river cane yelper helped because first time trying this trumpet I can cluck, yelp, and sometimes kee kee. I don't know if anybody has experience with Mike Robare because he isn't as known as a lot of other makers but his trumpet was fairly priced and I think it sounds like a hen turkey to me. Maybe next season I'll spend a little more but this trumpet from mike still is gonna sing I think with little more practice.

g8rvet

Nice!  Gave me the turkey fever a little earlier in the year when I practiced with it.  Heard a gobble one evening sitting on my back porch when I was really making it loud. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Zobo

You don't need to spend more $. Mike's pretty well know and has been making quality calls for quite a while. A highly doubt that trumpet is not field capable. And knowing his work it's probably a looker too.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Joneshunter

You are right. I was thinking if I did upgrade though I'd try different wood/material combinations. Definitely gonna put the ole Mike Robare to use though and the fact I can already make just about every sound I need a day of owning it I know this trumpets bound to be the death of a gobbler eventually as I practice more.

Greg Massey

Mike, does make some awesome calls.. You just wait, that trumpet is just the beginning of your trumpet fever ... LOL..

NOmad

I have an all aluminum trumpet from Mike, extremely easy to run. A little bit different sound than I am used to (expected as its all aluminum) but I really enjoy running it. I plan on using it in the field the first time next week in Missouri.

You're going to want another one in 6-8 months, go ahead and get on Mr. Ricky Padgett's list! As soon as I got my trumpet from him, I put my name down for another one. Awesome instruments.

Boykin Hollow

Welcome to the trumpet world,  you just went down the rabbit hole that you can not get back out of.  Ricky makes a fine trumpet as well as other folks.  Enjoy the ride it can get rather expensive !!!!