OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

ssx.550 &fed hw 7's

Started by Devastator, July 17, 2011, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devastator

1187 shurshot,26 inch barrel and aimpoint 9000sc on an aimtech saddle mount.well finally got to shoot today with a slight xwind after trying the williams slugger sights,and the leupold gilmore last week with no luck getting dialed in with the latter 2, i think the gilmore is done and i run out of adjustment with the williams.so i decided to take the aimpoint off my 1187 sm and got dialed in real guick.the dirtier the barrel the better it shot. last 2 shots in 10 inch lazered 40 were 164 and 177 with another 120 in the 20 inch of the 177 shot.finally something went right lol.can't wait to get this baby dipped and order another aimpoint 9000sc.i have dealt with alot of optics in my life of hunting and ya definetly get what you pay for.sorry no pics still trying to get a buddie to help me do them >:(.

goblr77

Glad you got it figured out. Those are great numbers with that rig. :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

gophert

My "older" 870 20ga liked that combo as well (ssx .550/Fed 7's).  It also really liked the Hevi 7s.  It will be interesting to see if the "new" 870 20 ga likes that same combo. 

surehuntsalot

the more I read about the .550's,the more I have got to get me one and try it with my 20ga
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

JUGHEAD

Quote from: gophert on July 18, 2011, 10:23:55 AM
My "older" 870 20ga liked that combo as well (ssx .550/Fed 7's).  It also really liked the Hevi 7s.  It will be interesting to see if the "new" 870 20 ga likes that same combo. 
As soon as I get a little time, I'll let you guys know.  We've got a brand new 21" barrelled compact 870 and a .550 SSX that we're going to shoot with the Fed HW's ASAP.

TrkyHntr

My rem 870 just wouldn't shoot well with the ssx .550 nor the RSF, but every gun is different.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

JUGHEAD

Until I could get my hands on more, I "borrowed" a single Federal HW, 1.5 oz, 3" shell from a pal of mine and ran it through my son's 21" barreled 870 with an SSX .550 this weekend.  I shot it at 30 yards because that's where I did the earlier shooting with that gun....wanted a fair comparison.  That one shot got 252 pellets in a 10 inch circle.  My earlier shooting with that gun only yielded 147 pellets on average in the 10 at 30 yards with the RSF .570 and the same Federal shell. 

Averaged 220ish in the 10 at 30 yards with the RSF .570 and Hevi-13 #7's. 

Obviously, there's more shooting to be done, but the SSX .550 and Federal HW 7's is showing some serious promise for me right now!

gobbler74

I always got blotchy patterns from that combo. The density and core would shift like it was blowing the pattern out. Just wasnt my guns medicine but works well with others.  :icon_thumright:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"