turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tried a trumpet with flat mouthpiece

Started by Wasp, March 29, 2024, 08:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wasp

I have seen a few trumpets with flattened mouthpieces recently. I thought it was just a fad and wouldn't really make a difference.  @Bwhana was kind enough to allow me to try one of his trumpets that had a flattened mouthpiece.  Man that is a game changer.  If you get a chance give one a try.  I think you will be surprised by how consistently you are in the sweet spot immediately.

outdoors

I like the mouthpiece to be oval shape  at the tip , I can get more different sounds that way
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Meleagris gallopavo

I agree that they can be easier to play and more versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

aclawrence

I imagine it's a lot more work for the maker since they can't just turn it down round on the lathe. Maybe that's why we don't see as many. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

The only point of a flat mouthpiece is to imitate the feel of a wingbone. That is why Mr. Billy makes a flat mouthpiece and that is why Mr. Battey did it on the new trumpet. It does naturally help the caller relax the lips. If you prefer a wingbone or use one more than a turned trumpet then you will probably prefer a trumpet with a flat mouthpiece.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

outdoornut

I've been hunting with trumpets 20 or so years and I have a couple with flat mouth pieces.I don't see anything special. I actually am not a fan of them.I'll take a round or slanted mouth piece any day .

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

bwhana

I think the main concept of the flat/oval mouthpiece is it mimics the real wingbone shape more.  It will appeal to folks who like that and can run them well. I get good sounds from round, but the other allows for a better seal with looser lips and more control for me.

EZ

Everybody's lips are different. Some like the MP flat or oval, some like it round and some don't care. And some like the oval VERTICLE!!! I won't mention any names, lol.
Point being, there's no right or wrong or better or worst....totally individual. Have fun!!!

Greg Massey

You can get more than one hen sound with a flat mouthpiece... IMO

davisd9

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 30, 2024, 01:01:52 PM

You can do that with any mouthpiece
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

tal

Quote from: EZ on March 30, 2024, 11:52:22 AM
Everybody's lips are different. Some like the MP flat or oval, some like it round and some don't care. And some like the oval VERTICLE!!! I won't mention any names, lol.
Point being, there's no right or wrong or better or worst....totally individual. Have fun!!!
:TooFunny:

Greg Massey

Quote from: davisd9 on March 30, 2024, 01:13:52 PM

Never said you couldn't... I just made a comment about the flat mouthpiece ...

davisd9

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 30, 2024, 03:32:18 PM

I am aware of that, but that statement is not just applicable to flat mouthpieces. It may be easier for some to do it on a flat mouthpiece but different hens come from air control and techniques.

Greg Massey

Quote from: davisd9 on March 30, 2024, 03:35:25 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on March 30, 2024, 03:32:18 PM

I am aware of that, but that statement is not just applicable to flat mouthpieces. It may be easier for some to do it on a flat mouthpiece but different hens come from air control and techniques.
I will agree with your statement, but for some it may be easier for them to get those sounds on a flat mouthpiece instead of a round.. Like EZ said lips are different for people in using mouthpieces..

crow

Mr. Buice told me once he preferred the wingbone mouthpiece, he took the time to put one in several trumpets he played over the phone for me.

I prefer a flat wingbone type MP in a trumpet if I'm not using a wingbone.