Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Season start?

Started by JeffC, March 06, 2024, 07:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffC

Awesome job austin! Glad your still getting after them.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Muzzy61

Quote from: austinc on April 17, 2024, 06:03:32 PM
I killed one this morning,  think it'll score a smidgen higher, I'll check and if so I'll get the pics up.

Good job!  I've got one last weekend to try and upgrade.

Spellnj3

Figures the day after I say this I shoot one.

Quote from: Spellnj3 on April 17, 2024, 11:35:48 AM
So I'm a week in and absolutely striking out.   All 4 of my properties have less to no turkeys this year.   I might be shut out this year boys.   I'm out of town for one week and a half for my sons two baseball tournaments, one in state and one in Orlando.  Hopefully when I get back luck will change.

Spellnj3

Having trouble getting pictures up
Let's see if this works

JeffC

Congrats, picture worked!! Guess you found a new Tom!

notsure

Congratulations Spellnj3!

HillclimberWV

JeffC

Great job Spellnj3, hope tanna will post up tonight.

JeffC

Great job austin! was it an up grade? is that the call you made?? Give us some story or details.

austinc

Quote from: JeffC on April 19, 2024, 07:35:38 AM
Great job austin! was it an up grade? is that the call you made?? Give us some story or details.
Yes he was a few points more, working on resizing the pics now to post them. Also yes, that's one of my pot calls, and also my late poppa's box call and my late papaw's old browning. I struck that bird at 10 am with the box call, approximately 500 yards down ridge from me, on other side of a drain. I made a move towards him,  but he never would answer me again, but gobbled at every crow and he was steadily moving up the drain, headed towards a saddle about 700 yards frome me, so I moved up the ridge and took off trying to get a head of him. Right ad I started down ridge into the saddle he gobbled, on the saddle,  I was about 100 yards and called to him but no response. For the next 20 minutes he gobbled 15-20 times at crows, but wouldn't answer me,  but I could hear him drumming so I knew he was interested,  so I went silent on him.  After 8-10 minutes he'd gobbled on his own twice looking for me, but I didn't respond. Next time he gobbled was at a crow, going down drain on the other side of the saddle... so I called and no response, but he gobbled at a crow in a few minutes and was still going down that other side of the drain. So I got up and looped down the opposite drain and made a big loop to get in front of him. Thankfully there was plenty of crows keeping him gobbling while I made the move, finally got around in front of him and was roughly 100 yards, I hit him with a few soft yelps from my crystal call and nothing... 30-40 seconds later a crow sounded off and he gobbled, definitely closer! Then i could hear him drumming, and he gobbled on his own,  I clicked and purred at him with the crystal 3-4 times and he gobbled, MUCH closer, so I sat the call down and got ready. In about 3 minutes and 4-5 gobbles and drumming later, I got sight of him at about 50 yards. He gobbled looking for me, and was searching hard, then he broke and kept coming My way, I knew this gun was deadly at 40 yards, but I was going to let him get as close as he would.  He got to about 35 and started moving parallel to my left, so i was following him with the bead as he was moving in and out of trees, well he popped out in an opening  and stopped and periscoped his head up and I decided that that was enough and pulled the trigger! He folded up and barely even flopped,  that ol gun rocked him really good lol. Just a cool deal to kill one with something from each of my grandfather's with me and finished him with a call I built. 

JeffC

Awesome job!! Great DAY!! Making memories with memories, doesn't matter what he scores that's a special Tom. Great write up, thanks for taking us along. 

cannonball

I should have done this sooner, but I wanted to wish you guys good luck. Jeff is a fine captain and I've enjoyed getting to know him and reading his famous "GOAT Quotes"

HillclimberWV

I'm on the board. Will get pictures and a score up tonight.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

JeffC

Congrats Hillclimber! Post up some details about the hunt!