turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My Hunting Trumpet

Started by GregGwaltney, January 28, 2024, 01:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobbler428

Nice looking horn Greg and I am sure it sounds as good as it looks.

Greg Massey

Beautiful caller, and it's good to see a call builder's personal call ... thanks for sharing ....

GregGwaltney

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 28, 2024, 08:35:33 PM
Beautiful caller, and it's good to see a call builder's personal call ... thanks for sharing ....
Thanks Greg......yeah, it was fun to have a little different twist to my picture sharing, plus I was excited to finally finish my own call....lol
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

EZ

Looks like a killer Greg!!!!

Tom007

Beauty Greg, by the time he sees the shine, he will be floppin'
"Solo hunter"

GregGwaltney

Quote from: Tom007 on January 29, 2024, 08:33:22 AM
Beauty Greg, by the time he sees the shine, he will be floppin'
Thanks, I have the scuff pad ready to go if I spook one due to glare, but don't expect to have to use it ;D
gwaltneygamecalls.com

tal

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Crowstalker

Beautiful Greg. Seeing the shine is retarded. By that time he is done. More than likely the turkey would be shinier than the call.  Enjoy your time in the woods this spring

GregGwaltney

Quote from: Crowstalker on January 29, 2024, 11:02:17 PM
Beautiful Greg. Seeing the shine is retarded. By that time he is done. More than likely the turkey would be shinier than the call.  Enjoy your time in the woods this spring
Thanks, I am really looking forward to turkey season as usual.....The one thing I do really like about CA finish is it is very tough and protects the wood better than anything I have tried.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

Tarheel

I purchased an expensive blank of exhibition grade desert ironwood back in the early 2000s to make my personal trumpet yelper. I built it with an oil finish. After 20+ years of turkey hunting with it, it has turned as black as cocobolo or African blackwood. If you look up in the bell of the call, you can tell the wood originally wasn't black, but it carries it's battle scars....LOL!!! 

Greg, you have a beautiful trumpet yelper!!!

GregGwaltney

Quote from: Tarheel on January 30, 2024, 10:49:50 AM
I purchased an expensive blank of exhibition grade desert ironwood back in the early 2000s to make my personal trumpet yelper. I built it with an oil finish. After 20+ years of turkey hunting with it, it has turned as black as cocobolo or African blackwood. If you look up in the bell of the call, you can tell the wood originally wasn't black, but it carries it's battle scars....LOL!!! 

Greg, you have a beautiful trumpet yelper!!!
Thank you sir....Yes, I have always used an oil finish as well and found it to be a beautiful option.... but it does darken wood from the start and continues that trend over time. I am not sure what the wood will look like after some time with a CA finish, but at least initially it brightens the wood and shows off the grain/figure which I like a lot.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

Meleagris gallopavo

Outstanding DIW trumpet!  I actually like the shiny finish!  Anything that can be done to retain the original "fresh cut" appearance of the grain is a plus in my book.  That's just me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Osceola352

Beautiful

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Brillo

I enjoyed seeing your pics and thoughts on your trumpet.   My questions: 1) You mention trying different mouth pieces and internals.  Do you have thoughts about which element most affected the capability to make clear sounds vs. rasp?  By sounds I assume yelps?  2) What role, if any, do you think the pits or dents in a piece affect tone?  3) Do you think the thicker protective finishes vs. oils affect sound/ resonance?

I can play my own trumpet (Chadwick) with clearer and raspier yelps also but likely not to the extent that others can.  Do you see that as a function of the trumpet more than the player?  How would you weight those variables?