OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Christmas Hen Box

Started by Tarheel, December 16, 2023, 09:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheel

Since I can't stand to turn on a lathe to make trumpet calls, I have to sit and do what I can do.  Back 15-20 years ago, I purchased several walnut gunstock blanks from a West Coast gunstock dealer.  The walnut I used to make this Turpin style hen box was from one of those walnut gunstock blanks.  I hadn't planned on making any more box calls in 2023, but I was able to sit and get this one completed. I look forward to receiving the dead turkey pictures of the old gobblers this box call is going to call up........

Lcmacd 58

I really like it ..... super work

Yoder409

Good HEAVENS, buddy, is THAT ever a beautiful caller !!!!!!!!

:drool:

Very much looking forward to visiting with you, real soon.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Mathews.1

Very nice.....looks like you should keep making them. Outstanding!

Gobbler428

Awesome call, really gorgeous and I bet it sounds as good as it looks.

3bailey3

doublespurs21

nice,, i like that one,,,,,,

Tarheel

I cut out this box call and hollowed it out back in 2019; and since then, it's been sitting in my workshop tempering.  My woodloft during the summer stays above 100 degrees, so I really don't have to worry about having dry wood to work with.  But even though the wood is dry, it still needs to be tempered for a period to make the very best turkey calls possible.  This box call is an example of the benefits of tempering.  It's one of the best sounding box calls I've ever made.  The customer gave me freedom to do whatever I wanted for artwork....she just wanted me to make her a nice Turpin style hen box to hunt with and kill old gobblers. I call the woodburning I do cut woodburning....this isn't pyrography done with shading, as you can tell. I did add a little color. Although I do some shading, the artwork on this call is cut into the call, and hunting this call will not harm the artwork. It will acquire a hunting patina, but IMHO that's just acquiring memories.

turkey stew

That is another sweet looking henbox Marvin! I always enjoy your work.

Greg Massey

Absolutely beautiful work ... I bet it sounds great ...

Quig

Beautiful call!  Love the art work on that