turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Where to get brown or dark red chalk

Started by Alabama556, July 29, 2023, 12:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alabama556

I have noticed that the brown or dark red railroad chalk works best overall but I can't find it anywhere. I ordered some red Dixon railroad chalk and when it showed up it was pink and did not work as well as the brown or dark red that a lot of call makers send out.

You can see the difference in the chalk colors in the pictures at the link below.

Anybody know where to get the dark red or brown chalk?

https://imageshack.com/a/OuqW7/1

Greg Massey

The chalk your showing pictures of in comparison to the piece is not the old red brick or brown chalk at all.... the old red brick and brown was mostly in sphere shape alone with some of the old red and brown in the stick forum.  For us that have the old red brick and brown it's something we found over time and bought from individuals or off ebay ....  Perfection used to sell the old brown sphere shaped chalk ... Sometimes it will appear on ebay...  People who have the true old red / brown
chalk are not usually willing to give it up ....  Like i told you the Primos red is good and David Halloran sells a blue sphere shape chalk that is pretty good also... Don't think you can't mix 2 colors of chalk either, because you can and it will give you a different tone/sound... as to how it grips the rails of the call...

Alabama556

The brown chalk pictured works good.

I appreciate the feedback. I found another company that makes brown railroad chalk but I am sure if it was any good someone else would have mentioned it.

Primos is good stuff but damn they are proud of it.

Greg Massey

The old red brick was a number 77707 on the box ....made by Dixon .....  The last known cases of this chalk were found in a warehouse in Florida covered in dust... this was back about 5 years or better ago and call builders and individuals bought it up or shared a case between each other .... I shared a case with a couple of people myself ....  This old chalk is so fine it will get all over you while using it on your calls. It will stain just about anything it touches .. LOL.. So you have to be careful with the chalk....

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on July 29, 2023, 02:28:31 PM
The old red brick was a number 77707 on the box ....made by Dixon .....  The last known cases of this chalk were found in a warehouse in Florida covered in dust... this was back about 5 years or better ago and call builders and individuals bought it up or shared a case between each other .... I shared a case with a couple of people myself ....  This old chalk is so fine it will get all over you while using it on your calls. It will stain just about anything it touches .. LOL.. So you have to be careful with the chalk....
I have used red chalk and I have used the actual red railroad chalk and you are absolutely right, the railroad chalk is finer and gets into everything and tends to stay on it. The first call I got from Marlin has a stain on it from two years ago from that railroad chalk, just won't come off with any safe way I have tried to remove it. It is Alaskan Yellow wood and Service berry.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Alabama556

It's stained my wife's coffee table and she can't figure out where that stain came from.

Quote from: Greg Massey on July 29, 2023, 02:28:31 PM

Ranman

I tried the Dixon red sticks, not the same. I stopped trying to find the red spheres, and just tried the blue sphere carpenter chalk. I like the sound it gives, and gobblers like it too. Can be found at most hardware stores and 1-2 spheres lasts several seasons.
Randy

Alabama556

A HUGE thank you to Gog1015 for sending me some unobtainable brown chalk. Thinks like this is what makes this board great.