turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Long beard #6

Started by 2eagles, July 01, 2023, 05:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

Hey guys! What have you learned about XR #6's in a 20 gauge? I'm shooting Hevi13's #7 and do ok, but those aren't available anymore. I have some Magnum Blend, but haven't done much with them. I have Carlson .575 choke and a Primos .570 Tight Wad.

Happy

I have seen them in a local store a time or two in the past but never shot them. They seem to disappear pretty quickly

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

gaswamp

good shell for under 40yds

Sungrazer

They pattern well out to 40 yards in my Silver Eagle with Trulock LBXR choke.
And I learned they were $10 more a box this season than they were two seasons ago.

sswv

they are my go to shells for both of my 20ga turkey guns. I've tried every #6 3" 20ga shell I can get my hands on and nothing gets close to these.  I spoke with Winchester Ammo and was told they will be making a run on these in October and should be on shelves everywhere by the first of the year. 

Greg Massey

I was at a small sporting goods store Friday and they had several boxes of 6 XR long beards 25 dollars box ... i have been shooting them and they are fine loads...

Greytsum1

Quote from: 2eagles on July 01, 2023, 05:09:40 PM
Hey guys! What have you learned about XR #6's in a 20 gauge? I'm shooting Hevi13's #7 and do ok, but those aren't available anymore. I have some Magnum Blend, but haven't done much with them. I have Carlson .575 choke and a Primos .570 Tight Wad.
Can't find them around my neck of the woods, so I went with tss #9s and haven't looked back. Now it's only handloads of tss for me. Post how they do, please.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

captpete

My wife uses Longbeard 6's out of her Mossberg SA-20. Using a Carlson .575 choke, they are a 35yd combo. They will more than likely kill at 40, but the pattern is starting to get a little thin. She also shot them through a Heavy-13 choke tube which if I remember right is .573. It was pretty much the same as the Carlson, a 35yd combo, but just a little more even pattern, so we went with it.

We tried several other tighter chokes, but with her being basically a new hunter(only been hunting about 7-8 years and only spring turkey hunting), we went with a little more open choke to help minimize the chance of a miss at the 15yd range.

If you plan on using the Longbeard 6's, you better grab them when you see them. I have been wanting to pick up another box or 2 for her,  but haven't seen any on the shelves in about 2 years around here.

BigCat

I shoot Winchester LB#6's in a 20 gauge Tristar Raptor 26" barrel with a Carlson .568 and a .555 ported chokes. I use the .568 for wooded areas and the .555 for when I hunt in more open woodlands and fields. I have never counted the numbers but if I do my part any gobbler inside 40 yrds. is a dead duck. Of course the .555 shoots tighter patterns than the .568. I have taken 6 gobblers with the Winchester LBs and the longest was 37 yrds. All but 2 were killed out right. Those 2 flopped maybe twice. I know TSS is the thing right now, but Winchester LB ##6's have worked for me on 6 toms so I will use that lead shot for right now.

longbow2240

My 870 likes them, paired with a Jebs .555. Great woods hunting pattern up to 40-45 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gman

Quote from: Sungrazer on July 01, 2023, 09:09:51 PM
They pattern well out to 40 yards in my Silver Eagle with Trulock LBXR choke.
And I learned they were $10 more a box this season than they were two seasons ago.

I'll second this with the Trulock LBXR out of my 24" Montefeltro. The #6's patterned significantly tighter than the #5 LB's.

slicksbeagles1

I shoot an M2 20ga IC555 and it likes longbeard 6's and shoot as good as tss at 40yds I will have to say I am lucky because my gun likes everything