OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tom gaskins call

Started by GD1656, May 31, 2023, 09:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GD1656

Is a Tom gaskins call considered a scratch box call? Does anyone here use one?  Thanks

Sir-diealot

I believe it would be considered a scratch box, I have one but though I like the sound I do not care for it, seems like it was built for a left hander, when played right handed the cork falls out that holds the chalk in. Greg will give you more detail than I can, he likes these quite a bit as i recall.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

The older version is better than the newer ones... But yes it's like a scratch box...

GobbleGitr

It is a scratchbox in the Kenward style, and a well made one is a great call. Agree with Greg the older ones made by Tom Sr are better callers. With a little practice anyone can learn to be plenty proficient to kill a turkey. A great ambidextrous and easy to carry call.

3bailey3

I was talking with a buddy, he said it was all his dad use to hunt with, he said his dad would come in from hunting and say old Tom Gaskins got another one! funny after that talk I came home and checked in here and someone had one for sale, I got it and gave it to my buddy, I went on a my first out of state with this guy and a few buddies, he killed a bird with that call I gave him and said he got emotional after he had taken the bird with it.. good stuff!!

Ranman

Quote from: 3bailey3 on June 03, 2023, 11:29:06 PM
I was talking with a buddy, he said it was all his dad use to hunt with, he said his dad would come in from hunting and say old Tom Gaskins got another one! funny after that talk I came home and checked in here and someone had one for sale, I got it and gave it to my buddy, I went on a my first out of state with this guy and a few buddies, he killed a bird with that call I gave him and said he got emotional after he had taken the bird with it.. good stuff!!

Sounds like some great memories!

MattM

I have a older one and it is a good sounding call.