News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg SA Turkey Tactical w/ Sumtoy .562

Started by Tandin93, March 22, 2023, 07:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tandin93

Quote from: Ranman on April 02, 2023, 10:41:03 PM
I like that a lot. Much more forgiving. Is that with the .585?
Yes sir. .585 ported
I'm really liking this one. The barrel wasn't super clean on this shot, so it possibly could have been a bit better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runngun

That's a great looking pattern!!! I don't see why you would want more. Best of everything!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Tandin93

Quote from: runngun on April 03, 2023, 01:28:19 PM
That's a great looking pattern!!! I don't see why you would want more. Best of everything!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
I'm loving this one!!

Tandin93

Here is the pattern with the Apex Greenleaf
10" - 282
20" - 310

mountainhunter1

I like the .585 much better overall than your first pattern you posted. But man, that final greenleaf 9/10 pattern is just something else. Very few patterns will put more in the 20 than the ten and yet still have a high (280 ten count). I love that pattern because there is no turkey walking out of that even if you are not spot on with your aim. The only issue on that load is those tiny pellets. If he is beyond forty steps (hopefully you stay forty and in), they will fill up his breast and you will eventually find yourself at the dentist with a broken tooth. It can happen with the straight nines as they are pretty small as well, but those tens are some kind of small and often hard to run down in the breast meat. I do love the .585 and for the money not sure it and the cousin .575 precision hunter can be beat.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Tandin93

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on April 15, 2023, 12:01:40 PM
I like the .585 much better overall than your first pattern you posted. But man, that final greenleaf 9/10 pattern is just something else. Very few patterns will put more in the 20 than the ten and yet still have a high (280 ten count). I love that pattern because there is no turkey walking out of that even if you are not spot on with your aim. The only issue on that load is those tiny pellets. If he is beyond forty steps (hopefully you stay forty and in), they will fill up his breast and you will eventually find yourself at the dentist with a broken tooth. It can happen with the straight nines as they are pretty small as well, but those tens are some kind of small and often hard to run down in the breast meat. I do love the .585 and for the money not sure it and the cousin .575 precision hunter can be beat.
I'm with you on the #10's. I definitely plan on keeping it under 40, but I don't want to break a tooth! I think either load is a great hunting pattern. Thanks for all your help!

I picked up a new Beretta yesterday, so patterning that one is next!

mountainhunter1

I like both of those .585 patterns as well. If you go with the 9/10 setup, just site your gun in a fraction high and it will help a lot if you wind up shooting a bird at 45-50 yards. Easy to misjudge yardage and shoot a fraction further than we think we are shooting sometimes. But the twenty coverage on the 9/10 is as good as it gets. Nothing is walking out of that pattern at reasonable ranges. I hope you hammer several this spring - and will try to remember to check back with you to see how it does in the woods on live birds. I think you will be pleased. Appreciate you sharing as these patterns help to save others time and money as they set up future guns.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Tandin93

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on April 16, 2023, 09:04:24 PM
I like both of those .585 patterns as well. If you go with the 9/10 setup, just site your gun in a fraction high and it will help a lot if you wind up shooting a bird at 45-50 yards. Easy to misjudge yardage and shoot a fraction further than we think we are shooting sometimes. But the twenty coverage on the 9/10 is as good as it gets. Nothing is walking out of that pattern at reasonable ranges. I hope you hammer several this spring - and will try to remember to check back with you to see how it does in the woods on live birds. I think you will be pleased. Appreciate you sharing as these patterns help to save others time and money as they set up future guns.
Well, I'm glad I took your advice on the sighting in a bit high. I shot a gobbler this morning at what I thought was about 40. Ended up being about 46. Killed him stone dead! A blast of a hunt!! Thanks for all the help! I hope it helps others as well!

Also, the yote didn't like that load either!
Great opening morning in Mo!

mountainhunter1

You had an awesome morning. That is a good looking Tom. Congrats on him and the yote. I can tell you smoked him with the feathers laying around on the ground. I think you have found a winning setup. Yep, your twenty coverage is so good that you can aim a tad high on a reasonable longer shot and still stone him. Very few people are getting a twenty coverage to match what you posted on here. That is why I honestly believe that no bird is ever going to be walking out of that at reasonable hunting ranges. By the way, filling the breast of the coyote full of pellets is a good thing :fud:.       Glad you scored - thanks for sharing your success with us.

Tandin93

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on April 17, 2023, 05:19:32 PM
You had an awesome morning. That is a good looking Tom. Congrats on him and the yote. I can tell you smoked him with the feathers laying around on the ground. I think you have found a winning setup. Yep, your twenty coverage is so good that you can aim a tad high on a reasonable longer shot and still stone him. Very few people are getting a twenty coverage to match what you posted on here. That is why I honestly believe that no bird is ever going to be walking out of that at reasonable hunting ranges. By the way, filling the breast of the coyote full of pellets is a good thing :fud:.       Glad you scored - thanks for sharing your success with us.
Yes sir! I believe this is a set up that will be around for a long time! It's good to know that it will kill a turkey, so effectively at that range, even though I don't ever plan on shooting turkeys that far. In fact, that is the farthest I have ever shot a turkey. Most have all been under 30 yards. But it is good to know that I have that cushion if I need it!

This gobbler really caught me off guard. This morning started off great with four birds gobbling at sunrise. I started working one bird, and he seemed like he was wanting to play, but all of the sudden all of the gobblers hushed. I knew I didn't spook them, but I did not have a clue what had happened. A few minutes later, I heard something coming through the woods toward me and look to my left and see a coyote headed my way. I'll let her get to about 15 yards and she found out quickly that she didn't like TSS. Lol

After shooting the coyote, I drug her off a ways, and after she was taken care of, I decided to call just to see if I could locate the gobblers I had heard earlier in the morning. When I called the first time, he gobbled about 150 yards away, so I scrambled to get set up as quickly as I could. Before I could even get set up, he gobbled again, and was getting closer.

I looked around for a place to get set up, and there was no way that I could get to a tree that would be able to hide me. Everything that was close would not have hid me well enough, and he would have been able to see me as soon as he topped the rise that was in between him and I. The only thing I could see was a mound of dirt and chose to lay down behind it, peeking over the top. It wasn't ideal, but looked like it might work!

After getting set up, I began to call and he immediately responded and started coming my way. He eventually hung up at 80 yards, strutting and gobbling his head off. I finally got him to break, and when I shot him, I thought he was a tad closer than he was because of the terrain that was in between us. I got him to come in from 80 but he hung up again, strutting up and down an ATV trail, and I didn't think he would be coming any closer. Because of my set up, I was worried about him, circling me. If he would have, I would have been busted, and there was no way that I would have been able to turn around and shoot that way without spooking him. So, although he was a little farther than I wanted to shoot him, it all worked out in the end!

mountainhunter1

Awesome morning - awesome hunt. I learned it the hard way early many years ago, but one thing that will help in that scenario going forward is to simply remember, do not call to a bird until you are at a spot that you want to work a bird from. I ask myself, can I and do I want to kill a bird from this spot? If you call before you get to that point, you will find yourself over and over having to dive behind something. There are times when he gobbles before you call and he is in your lap and you just have to do the best that you can, - but if you have not called yet and he is not point blank, pick the spot you want and get to there and then call and it takes a ton of pressure off of you when he does show up. Happy you scored. I can tell that you will not ever forget that hunt and that is really what it is all about. Congrats again.

Fullfan

Don't gobble at me...

Tandin93

Quote from: Fullfan on May 02, 2023, 06:55:52 PM
Is that with #8's??
The most recent one is with 9's/10's. Apex Greenleaf blend.

Ranman

Definitely a winner and field proven. No bird is going to walk out of that pattern. Congrats..

Tandin93

Quote from: Ranman on May 06, 2023, 05:13:35 PM
Definitely a winner and field proven. No bird is going to walk out of that pattern. Congrats..
Yes sir. Thanks! 2 birds with it this year. I'm loving it.