turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Easton Full Metal Jacket arrows?

Started by lightsoutcalls, July 01, 2011, 11:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I just got a dozen arrow shafts in this week to use this fall.  I was going to trade calls for some Easton Axis arrows, which I have used and love.   The company emailed me and said they only had the Full Metal Jacket arrow shafts in stock, and would make the same trade as for the Axis arrows. 

I was curious if anyone has experience with these.  What do you think of them?
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

drenalinld

I love them. The only possible draw backs are weight and an aluminum carbon arrow can be bent as opposed to carbon that will spring back unless broken.
They are a little on the heavy side. I shoot either A/C/C's or FMJ's. The FMJ's are a little smaller diameter and the aluminum is slicker both giving better penetration as well as pulling from targets easier. They are very tough and durable. You won't be disappointed if you don't mind giving up a few feet per second. I have checked it at extended ranges and you get it back. The smaller diameter and heavier weight retain more energy and may even drop less at extended ranges. If you have a specific question, just let me know.

lightsoutcalls

I got a quiver full fletched with the new Fusion Zeon fletchings.  I didn't do any more, as I don't know if I am going to like the Zeon vanes.  I like the shield cut, as I had been shooting the regular 2.1" Fusion vanes.  The Zeons are made of a material that has fiber optic-like properties.  From behind they glow like fiber optic material (edges of the vanes).  From the sides they are colored, but see-through.  I like something I can find laying in the leaves.  I don't use wraps, but will have lumenoks for hunting. 
I shot the first one I fletched up into my "blob" target.  It penetrated about 2" deeper in the blob than my Lumenarrows (victory archery) did.  That is saying something with a blob target.  I think I'm going to like them.  I have high hopes of getting a shot on a black bear this fall, as I have an offer to hunt some property where an old AR record bear was taken (560 lbs).  It is somewhere down your way... supposed to be about 30 miles north of Russellville on the border of some national forest land.  The kinetic energy/penetration was more important to me than speed.  I have a feeling that with my Grizztrick heads, these things will plow through a heap of flesh.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

drenalinld

They should penetrate like no other with small od and slick finish. Those Zeon's sound interesting. Would like to see a pic if you have a chance. I use the 2" blazers and most of the time I use a wrap. I can't imagine a better arrow for bear.

I remember a bear about ten years ago that was killed up near Dover that was supposedly pushing 600 lbs. Not sure if that's the one, but there are big ones in that are for sure.

I've never bear hunted, but have been giving it some thought. We have a few on our lease property near Petit Jean.

[attachment deleted by admin]