What do we have Alex?

Started by WildSpur, May 05, 2023, 08:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildSpur

Pics and story to follow!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Mountainburd

A little birdie told me someone shot a very big bird.

RutnNStrutn

Congrats brother!!!! We needed that!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Hayudog

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

WildSpur

Okay! 

Well, my oldest had off of school today, and we finally had a break in the crappy weather we have had all week.   My son was determined to wait out a gobbler... something that I do not have the patience for!

Well, the area we went to today was private land and is surrounded by other private parcels.  History shows that birds do not roost on this property. However, within an hour or so, after daylight, they will make their way onto the property.

Knowing this, we did not get there for flydown time.  Again--this is so unorthodox for me!  We planned not to call at all.  We were set up at 0710 and heard some sounding off where we expected them. 

One was getting closer, and I had to help my son spin around so he could be prepared for a shot.  As luck would have it, I could see a lone bird looking up at us a distance away in the freshly re-piped gas line.  I could see him in strut.  I was really worried this gig was going to be up.  Well, I saw my son lower his gun, and I thought the bird walked back into the timber.  Well, he then raised it and shot!  I could not see the bird as it was coming in. However, it was going in and out of strut, and he smoked him at 31 yards.  This was at 0740. 

As we were talking things over about the hunt and getting ready to pack up, we heard a gobble about 200 yards away in the 3 o'clock position.  We made the decision to quickly get back where we just were when he shot. I did give a few clicks. However, they were unanswered.  A closer gobble sounded off a short time later.  At 0750, I saw a head poke out and a deep bronze reflection.  I waited a split second to identify a beard (there is a group of 4 mature birds running around, and one has no trace of a beard).  Once identified,  I let him have it at 20 yards. 

I am speechless!  I haven't got a bird since 19' and my confidence hasn't been too high.   I took the backseat and let my boy call the shots due to his determination this week. 

This is definitely a memory I will never forget.  My boy liked gobbler hunting before this and is even more hooked now!  It made me feel good watching my boy grow as a hunter. 

As we were driving out of the area, we saw a lone long beard walking at the property line a distance away.  As we drove past him, in my nutty fashion, I had to wind the window down to tell him that he was likely the boss now and wished him luck.  He gobbled right back at us!

My boys' bird was 21.04#, 10" beard, and spurs of 1" and 1 1/16"   

My bird was my best ever and one I likely will never top--21.74#, 11 1/2" beard, and spurs of 1 1/2" and 1 3/8".   

Cluck more, yelp less

TrackeySauresRex

WooHoo! WTG Congrats to you and the young man. Definitely a day to remember.  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

JeffC

Thats a great day, Congrats to the both of you!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Hayudog

Dandy gobbler and fun story. Fantastic that he got a bird too. Guns and Hoses team has defiantly got some family doubles this year. And our 3 biggest birds have been with family.

Happy

Nice! Good job to you both!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Hayudog on May 05, 2023, 04:33:20 PM
Guns and Hoses team has defiantly got some family doubles this year. And our 3 biggest birds have been with family.

Absolutely!!!! Good job guys!!!

WildSpur

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Cluck more, yelp less

Mountainburd

What an incredible bird! Way to pull the team back ahead.  Lets hope we can stay there.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Mountainburd on May 06, 2023, 07:57:18 AM
What an incredible bird! Way to pull the team back ahead.  Lets hope we can stay there.

Deputy 14