North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

crow's non-fiction fairy tails

Started by crow, April 30, 2023, 04:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

crow

Over the last week or so gobbling has slowed down, called in a couple of single hens, 1 silent Jake came sneaking in, watched a redtail whack a little squirrel at about 22yds and had a little fox pup playing near me for awhile one day.

Filled my last tag yesterday on a nice gobbler, went to a new place for the first time, no roost gobbling anywhere near me, heard the same bird gobble twice way off the property and as Col. Tom puts it "on the ragged edge of imagination"

made my way around the place setting up and blind calling several times. On the 3rd or 4th setup I called, no answer but stayed and called again about 20 min later and had an immediate gobble fairly close, I yelped right back and 2 gobblers fired back. Got shifted around the tree and game on.

It took awhile, finally could hear them walking their way to my left, the woods right now are as dry as cornflakes.
They are coming on very slow and cautious, almost like they think it's the end of the season, they drift back to my 12:00 and gobble, I clucked a couple times and they work on in and angle slightly to my right.

At what later turned out to be 37yds the front one gives a searching cluck, listens and starts to leave. I had already been on the 2nd gobbler since the direction change, it's feeling like now is the time, squeeze the trigger and end the season with a nice one. No upgrade but a heart beating fun hunt to end the season with.

Happy

Paulmyr

Congrats. I know for me it's always nice to finish on a good note. Ending the season with an unintentional open tag or worse yet a miss always makes the off season a little longer.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

GobbleNut

Sounds like you have had a great season, crow!   :icon_thumright:

Quote from: Paulmyr on May 27, 2023, 06:03:01 PM
Congrats. I know for me it's always nice to finish on a good note. Ending the season with an unintentional open tag or worse yet a miss always makes the off season a little longer.

Yes, indeed it does!  Ending even one year with a miss is bad enough,...but now I have done it two years in a row!   ::)

Happy

Happy

crow

JeffC

Congrats again Crow, and thank you Happy for pictures.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

crow