Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

crow's non-fiction fairy tails

Started by crow, April 30, 2023, 04:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

The seas were angry that day my friends. Wait, thats the start of the bluegill fishing trip when the "Captain" sank our boat.

Have been hearing some roost gobbling, not much after fly down. Called in a couple groups of Jakes and a silent Jake.

Went in blind to a new spot the other morning, no gobbling on my side but Gobbling across the road, went back half a mile crossed road and set up. Called with a trumpet and Zelmo1's traveling slate call to what sounded like 2 gobblers, couldn't hear hens but they acted like were with hens after fly down. Gobbling drifted off, I stayed put, about 5 minutes later heard a searching cluck, shifted the gun and finally saw movement coming thru the edge of the thicket, at 17yds pulled the trigger  :newmascot:.

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

crow

lacire

crow

crow

Well another gobbler down, And a fun hunt. Got in to a good position on a gobbler still on the roost.
Sounded like the same voice as the walk away Joe from last week, and same behavior, would gobble to hear himself gobble but not really gobble back to you.

A second gobbler, deep raspy gobbles was far behind me at my 5:00 but was answering right back and throwing in some double gobbles. Meantime Joe flew down and heard him---walk away.

The far gobbler is closing the distance to a point and hangs up. I move, call and he's still fired up, but sounds like staying in a strut zone. Joe is still out there gobbling in the distance on a huge semi circle.

I move again, call and go silent. The 2nd turkey who is now the front row gobbler double gobbles and finally is coming, can see pieces of him thru the trees, strutting, gobbling, looking and slowly coming, adrenaline is cranking.
he's in range but still coming so just keep watching the show, comes out of strut and gives a couple of where are you clucks, I'm on the trigger but then he slowly comes on, now he's close enough and it's the kind of hunt you remember in the off season.

Used a wingbone, trumpet and cane yelper  on the different setups, only call used on the last setup was a Mark Sharpe cane yelper, sweet sounding call.

Happy

Congrats Crow. Your whoopin up on em.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

JeffC

Congrats...but a great story is much better with pictures...otherwise it's just a good story

crow

Quote from: JeffC on May 07, 2023, 04:37:18 PM
Congrats...but a great story is much better with pictures...otherwise it's just a good story

They're coming, for now just use your imagination, and I hope it's better than your last artwork :TooFunny:

lacire

Quote from: crow on May 07, 2023, 05:47:12 PM
Quote from: JeffC on May 07, 2023, 04:37:18 PM

They're coming, for now just use your imagination, and I hope it's better than your last artwork :TooFunny:

What's wrong with this artwork? Sorry, forgot to write slower.... what... is... wrong... with ... this... art...work........?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crow

slow day on 5-8, no gobbles. did get dive-bombed by a redtail hawk too close for comfort.
Heard a little wren get fired up and looked that way in time to see this hawk about 25yds out coming right towards me, looked like slow motion until it wasn't.

at 12-13 feet he's coming straight on and his legs dropped down, I raised an arm up, he flared off at about 7-8 feet, hope thats my next 50year quota.

crow

Today was some better gobbling, although distant, and across property lines.
I did shoot a dead fallen tree, but thats all I got to say about that :OGani:

crow

Yesterday-- back at the double dead tree spot, good roost gobbling going on about 500-600 yards away and this time just across 1 property line instead of 2 properties over, 2 gobblers about 200 yards apart,  I'm as close as I can get.

It gets light enough and I do some light clucks and tree yelps and they both are gobbling good. Later can tell by the change of tone they are on the ground and coming, I'm cutting off their gobbles and they are fired up and coming and it's looking good. Until hens show up. They go off down the ridge, can hear the occasional gobble until about 7:30.

Limited where I can go, so going to wait them out and try to call one back to where they heard me after they are alone mid morning. Not my favorite way to hunt but it's been effective. Part of the morning's a blur, can'i be sure, might have drifted off a bit. Call every 20 minutes or so, silence.

crow

11:10, one gobbles back from the spot he had gotten the closest before leaving with the hens earlier. 11:15 the 2nd gobbler with a  deeper pitch also gobbles back. this goes on for a bit but the first ones not budging, 2nd one is coming good.---- then from 2 properties over heavy target practice fires up, sounds like a war movie, unreal amount of gunfire, can't believe it after waiting it out so long. both gobblers shut down.

There are lulls in the shooting, got nothing to lose so I start cutting, they both fire back up, can't believe it. first one is still holding tight, 2nd one has come closer, I call to him in each lull, he's coming and then goes silent, takes about 15 minutes I hear him walking, get the gun moved in time, too thick to see him, can hear him slowly coming. finally see him too thick to shoot, he gives a searching cluck and takes a step into an open hole. Nice gobbler, he was a crafty one.  Had 7 minutes to go until the noon quitting time. Calls used were a trumpet I made several years ago and gobbling on a SC Possum tube call.
Was close but not an upgrade

crow

I played this game with this gobbler 2 days earlier, He did almost he same exact game plan, but after a long period of silence he came walking in so loud I thought it was a deer, way too loud for a turkey, then it sounded too loud for a deer and I thought for sure a person, even moved my gun 45 degrees off to the side.

out he steps into a small opening, very cautious and looking, gives the same searching cluck once and looks for a few seconds, gets antsy and moves off.
No chance to get on him without the risk of spooking him, let him drift off and it paid off