Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

10yds....

Started by JeffC, April 29, 2023, 08:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffC

Hunted Thursday, 27th, different area close as I could get to a couple of front yard strutters I spotted on Saturday. Snuck down a powerline to public, weather was calling for scattered showers, rain started shortly after getting to stop at 430ish. Rained for close to 2 hours and a bolt of lightning to make sure I was wide awake. Well after light, rain lets off and hear 1st Tom...way back where I parked...gave it sometime only heard 2 Toms gobble twice. So had to make a long track thru woods, cross a swamp, cross a road, another swamp and back on the power lines. Close too 2 hours just over 2 miles, now within 200yds of truck. No gobbling, have no idea where they are, calling as I walked. Take a break, having a snack, 2nd bite he gobbles across powerline in woods, 200yds? Hit box call he answers. have a nice little hill between us, but it pretty much wide open, he is now in open gobbling on his own. We talk for a few minutes, he wont come across, I moved out into open about 20yds, he still answering but wont budge, sneak back to wood line, go 30 yds to my right call, wont come, hes moving left and right on his wood line. After 30 minutes or more, need to make a move, worried someone will come in from parking and get him, hes closer then me. Sneak out into open about 40yds, still have roll of hill between us with some low vegetation. Got to a clump of tall grass, not much of a hide for 6' 250lbs , he hammers a call, closer, I go quiet, then soft call, here he comes around hill, walking a path, so hes a little lower, sneaking, see red head white cap, never struts cant see beard, safety off, gun on neck, skinny neck, average size head. Gets to 10yds, now he is to the right of my poorly chosen hide...color drains out of head he turns inside out and is gone...never putted,,never saw a beard. 99% sure it was a mature bird, 2yr old? After Saturdays fight with super jake, needed to see full fan or beard. Spent rest of morning looking for him, got a flock of hens fired up around 11, think I heard him back across the street, on private. Tag number 1 added to the big dinner I am sure I will be eating sometime in May.
Called for rain this morning...woke up to no rain... will only get in 1 day this upcoming week.

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

snoman4

Sounds like a fun hunt.

lacire

Sounds like you're working for your bird, how do you like carrying your Franchi?

GobbleNut

Those are the kinds of hunts that we relive over and over again, Jeff.  All the excitement and anticipation,...except for the shot and putting a tag on a gobbler.
For me, there is always that "empty" feeling for a while and I always end up asking myself,..."What could I have done differently that would have changed the outcome?"  In the long run, though, those are the hunts that we seem to remember most. 

...Get him next time, my friend! 
Jim

JeffC

Quote from: lacire on April 29, 2023, 01:01:49 PM
Sounds like you're working for your bird, how do you like carrying your Franchi?
Love it, 1/2 the weight of my 12, and best part is not having the barrel get caught on every branch! 

HillclimberWV

Keep at em even if its only 1 day next week thats all it takes sometimes.

Tom007

Nice story Jeff. Best of luck this week my friend.......
"Solo hunter"

Muzzy61

Cool story, stay after them buddy.

lacire

:morning: Are you headed out today?

JeffC

Good morning, hunted yesterday, only heard 3 gobbles, 3 different birds, 3 different directions, 1 was for sure on private, all at least 1/2 mile away. Headed towards 1, never heard a peep. Walked over 2 miles calling. Dead. Went back to truck and headed towards the area where I heard 1 of the 3 in morning also to scout area, never been there before. Another hunter was parked at gate, big area, so it was 10 by the time I started across big fields, looking for hunter and sign, lot of rain the past week. Headed towards the back, closest to area I heard gobble in morning. Ended up jumping a Hen out of field, got into woods some fresh sign, lot of grasshoppers in field. Walked another 1 1/2 miles, nothing. 2AM wake up , 11 hours later home again, no prospects for today.
My afternoon nap got cut short, my Heart problems started last nite, A-Fib kicked in, took meds, went to bed, usually it will stop while sleeping. Woke up at 1:30 still in A-Fib, took more pills, turned off alarm, went back to bed. Have had A-Fib for years, gotten more attacks after turning 60, dont like hunting by myself when it is occurring. Had an episode last week after that encounter at 10 yds. Never know when and what will happen.
Trying to go next Thursday? Have a tag for different zone. But another tag added to my multi tag dinner at end of season. 6 tags left, hoping to at least take 1. 

HillclimberWV

Good luck and be safe. Good idea to send pins of your location if possible before hunts. I try to do that for my wife if I'm hunting public.

Happy

Good luck Jeff, really hope you have the hunt that makes some great memories for you.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

lacire

Best to rest up for a few days before hitting it again and as mentioned, if I'm going out by myself (which I do pretty regularly if I'm upland game hunting) I always put the location on my wife's phone so she has a general idea where to send the cavalry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crow

Sorry to hear this is going on for you, hope things settle down and your able to set up to a few