Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Super Jake

Started by JeffC, April 26, 2023, 04:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffC

Went and listened at the public I hunted last year and got beat by a wise Tom on Saturday. !st bird started at 5:22 and gobbled his head off till 6:10 when I left. Heard at least 11 different birds gobbling, only 4 on public. Went in Monday morning, opening day, knew where he was roosted, same area as last year, but now I knew his escape route, 5:30 and not a peep. 5:36 and he finally starts, 1/4 mile deeper in woods. Waited another 15 minutes make sure I am not leaving a bird, head his way, cant get to him, woods too open, too light now, set up 100yds off, call he answers, go quiet, he continues for another 15 minutes then he goes quiet. Gave him some time, try soft calling, then louder, nothing. Been hour, too quiet, move his way, calling, spend next 4 hours trying to find him. Find old scratching, no birds, 10am, head back to where he was, go 30yds from where I called before crossing swamp where he roosted, call, he hammers, gobbles again, he was here the whole time. Hit a tree, gun up, call him to 50 when he steps out, Super Jake, gobbling, strutting to 25yds, tried taking video, got busted by another Jake that was with him. He almost got shoot, was so mad, frustrated, waisted 6 hours on him. But it was exciting, got to work a bird.
Headed to another spot about 1/2 mile away where another bird was heard on Saturday, but hes on private, call, he responds, have to get around another swamp to get closer, have 30yds of public on his side, 11am, fight with him till noon cutoff, he comes to 20 yds of private, too thick too see him, cant bring him closer, even mouthy Super Jake came too all the calling and gobbling, was hoping it would help bring the Tom closer, nope. Gave up, trying another spot tomorrow, again nice Tom spotted strutting in a front yard, hoping I can intercept before he gets into private. Will even go Saturday in the rain. Again another Tom on the private / public line.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

snoman4

Sounds like an exciting day!  Good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Muzzy61

Sounds like a fun hunt, I'm sure the heart was pumping. Stay after them, good luck.

Spladle160

Keep at them, they'll mess up eventually.

silvestris

What is a Super Jake?
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

JeffC

He gobbled like a mature Tom, struts, had a 5 to 6" beard but was missing full fan, last 3 or 4 tail feathers were short.

Tom007

Great story Jeff. Thx for sharing
"Solo hunter"