turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1957 model 12

Started by Canadian, April 22, 2023, 02:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian

Well, I haven't been much of a forum guy as far as 'posting' topics goes, but wanting to utilize the classifieds boards and abide by the forums rules, I've decided that i better start posting haha! So here it goes!

I'm not on here, or posting this to argue, however, I would like to share my 'personal' opinion, and some of my findings. If you are a fan of sniping birds with shotguns from 60+ yards, we probably wouldn't get along, and it is this very movement from modern turkey hunters, whom pride in killing birds from ranges previously only achieved with rifles, that has inspired me to go in the opposite direction, and shoot my grandfathers 1957 model 12 this year. My grandfather for years has shot many turkeys with it, utilizing a 2 3/4" kents #5 shell out of it. But being someone who shoots TSS, not in order to shoot any farther, but rather out of respect for the wild turkey, i want to shoot TSS rather than a kents #5. I have two low pressure TSS loads to try, and want to share with you all, the unbelievable capabilities of "the perfect repeater".

Canadian

2 3/4", 1 5/8oz. Fiocchi
309 pellets in 10" circle (outer circle drawn with marker)
585 pellets in total.

Canadian

If my post is somewhat controversial in regards to the forum rules, let me know and i can edit the post and completely remove my personal opinion from my original post. Regardless of the opinions of others, my intentions are not ill intended. Turkey load #2 coming soon. Just waiting on rain to slow down a bit, lol.

ChesterCopperpot

I shoot a 1928 Model 12 20ga fixed full and have really enjoyed the FoxTrot Hot Rods out of it. I try to keep it to 35yds and in. Here's a 35yd pattern with that set up. Took a bird this week with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadian

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 22, 2023, 04:34:08 PM
I shoot a 1928 Model 12 20ga fixed full and have really enjoyed the FoxTrot Hot Rods out of it. I try to keep it to 35yds and in. Here's a 35yd pattern with that set up. Took a bird this week with it.

Absolutely love it! Rain just let up, bout to try a different recipe. Do u run the factory fixed full choke or do you have a different set up such as poly choke or something? Do you have a pic of the gun? Would love to see it.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Canadian on April 22, 2023, 04:52:50 PM

Absolutely love it! Rain just let up, bout to try a different recipe. Do u run the factory fixed full choke or do you have a different set up such as poly choke or something? Do you have a pic of the gun? Would love to see it.
It's just the fixed full. It'd be fine to 40, I'm sure, but I try to keep everything 35 and in with it. Those FoxTrot Hot Rods are absolute hammers.

Canadian

This is a self loaded federal 2 3/4", 1 1/2 oz. No where near the pattern i got from the previous recipe. Gonna try the first one again to confirm.

Canadian

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 22, 2023, 05:08:20 PM
Quote from: Canadian on April 22, 2023, 04:52:50 PM

It's just the fixed full. It'd be fine to 40, I'm sure, but I try to keep everything 35 and in with it. Those FoxTrot Hot Rods are absolute hammers.

Man, thats an awesome pic! Love traditional shotguns and turkey hunting!

ChesterCopperpot

Yeah, that first load looks mean.

Canadian

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 22, 2023, 06:06:19 PM
Yeah, that first load looks mean.

I shot another one with the first recipe. It seems to me that theyre both a little left. Gonna take some more shots with regular turkey loads tomorrow and see if i can correct it. Might be me. You ever had any issues with shooting slightly to one side with your model 12?

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Canadian on April 22, 2023, 10:45:31 PM
I shot another one with the first recipe. It seems to me that theyre both a little left. Gonna take some more shots with regular turkey loads tomorrow and see if i can correct it. Might be me. You ever had any issues with shooting slightly to one side with your model 12?
Yes, it does. Probably an inch and a half to two inches left. Looks great up and down though and that'd be the harder hold. I'd hold right just a bit I think but you've got enough pattern there that you probably wouldn't have to worry with it at all. That'll kill them stone dead.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Canadian

Because im a bit OCD i just couldn't handle having the pattern off center, and wanted to confirm whether or not it was most likely human error. So i took another shot. This one at 25 yards... Couldnt be happier with the results. 318 in the 10", 205 in the 20". Around 585 pellets per hull.

Canadian

Also how do you make your uploaded photos smaller?

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Canadian on April 23, 2023, 06:08:56 PM
Also how do you make your uploaded photos smaller?
I'm not sure how to do it from desktop, if you're on a computer, but I post everything from Tapatalk which is an app for your cell phone.