Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Shot fired...

Started by austinc, April 18, 2023, 04:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinc

Yesterday on our opener I had a bird gobble a ton, just wrong side of a river... made a move mid morning and couldn't do anything with him. This morning I started on that side and it was a perfect hunt, got in tight to him on the limb,  about 50 yards,  he spit and drummed forever. A hen flew out and landed about 30 yards from me, he soon flew out behind her. She was working my way and here he came putting on a show. She got to about 20 yards, in the open and a deer started blowing at my scent, she starts looking around, so now I'm worried she's gonna pick me out, he comes out from behind a big oak, 28-30 yards away but still behind a small tree. I told myself to wait, he'll come to her and clear the tree. After probably 45 seconds he moves a tiny bit and I can see his head on the right side of the tree and i thought it was enough room so i shot...

JeffC

Dont know how well that tree is gonna score... good pattern! Keep after him, at least your in the game, you found a Tom, now keep after him!! Keep us updated, team is on a roll. Stay active on here
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Muzzy61

Tough luck. Keep after him.

notsure

Austinc, that's some impressive damage! Just goes to show how devastating a shotgun is at close range.

austinc

I had 2 gobblers work me over most the day today. Probably 200 gobbles total, stayed under 100 yards for well over an hour, as close as 50, but never could seal the deal.

lacire

That's when it's exciting, keep at it.  :anim_25:

JeffC

Quote from: austinc on April 19, 2023, 10:39:18 PM
I had 2 gobblers work me over most the day today. Probably 200 gobbles total, stayed under 100 yards for well over an hour, as close as 50, but never could seal the deal.
At least your in the game, keep after them and thanks for the update, you will get them.. :anim_25:

Happy

That tree is just a young one. He ain't gonna score well. Personally I like shooting rocks, weight is where it's at. Bit of a pain to pack back to the truck

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

austinc

Im starting to really dislike this turkey... day 3 of hunting him. Well he done exactly what he did yesterday,  got in his path, he went through a small gap at 45 yards, fixing to hit a bigger one and I was gonna kill him, he got to it but stopped with his head covered, could only see his beard and breast, but guess he saw me, he putted, turned and walked straight up the ridge away putting 8-10 times. No idea how he saw me, I had good cover. I needed him to take half a step. Oh well, I'll try him again tomorrow.

JeffC

Can you change your set up? get into woods to intercept him before current location? Keep after him, but do something different?? At least you are still on him!

austinc

Quote from: JeffC on April 20, 2023, 04:15:58 PM
Can you change your set up? get into woods to intercept him before current location? Keep after him, but do something different?? At least you are still on him!
this is a big woods turkey, ain't nothing but woods for 15 miles or so lol. Mountainous terrain, I did something different today, came close but not quite enough. Got storms moving in tonight, be interesting to see if he's roosted in the same spot in the morning,  if so, I have a plan that the rain tonight will help with.

JeffC

So plan A commences at 0 dark thirty.. dead Tom at 6:30am.!! Good luck, will look for update tomorrow morning. :funnyturkey: :anim_25:

austinc

Went back after the ridge Turkey this morning and he was tearing it up, gobbling a ton, other side of the river though... which makes sense as to why I couldn't hear him yesterday. I waited a bit to see if the other one the next ridge over was gonna gobble any and he didn't. Finally decide dude is still gobbling his head off, let's go see if anyone is over there at that gate.  Go 1/4 mile towards truck and a turkey gobbles,  right where I missed tuesday, so heck yeah let's go try him. Get about 200 yards from where I thought he was and sat on a rock gonna let him gobble on his own and go from there. About 2 minutes later I hear a turkey putting, about 200 yards in... thought well that's odd. Bout that time the Turkey cross the river gobbles again, decided I'd sit a bit and see what happens, bout 5 minutes goes by, and a shot rang out,  cross the river right in line with that turkey, it sounded farther than the gobble, but I waited 30 minutes and he never gobbled again. Finally decided to go hit some new spots, get to the truck and there's someone parked 40 yards from mine, so obviously they had spooked that one and while it started putting, i Never heard them attempt to work it. I ended up hitting 5-6 spots, never could find any fresh sign or a talkative gobbler. Went and checked out some new ground as well. I actually have to go back to work now, won't be able to hunt til next friday, but maybe I can get one then.

JeffC

Thanks for the update, keep after them, good luck Friday.

austinc

Not much to update on the last 2 weekends, I've walked 34 miles in last 4 hunts, and have heard a total of 7 gobbles, but none have wanted to play. The pressure here on public shuts the birds completely down by the first weekend and it's been slow going since. Today is the last day, I'm going to try and do an evening hunt and catch one before dark. Chances of rain and storms, so it maybe a waste of time. As of now, I'm going to try and make a trip around memorial day weekend to end my season on.