turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Englander

Started by Bluesman, April 16, 2023, 03:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluesman

Ok.  I have a New Englander that I bought new when they first came out.  Probably 40 years ago.  I also have a shotgun barrel.  I think it's an open cylinder or improved cylinder at most.  I'd like to give the gun to a friend who due to past mistakes can't carry a modern gun.  But I'd like to give him a fair chance on a Turkey.   My friend is a war vet from 1st Iraq war.  PTSD etc.  He was behind enemy lines on his own doing recon. 

Anyway I'm thinking TSS shot?  I need a recipe and where to get components.  Thanks for your help.

Bluesman

I was thinking also maybe I can send barrel somewhere to get threaded to take chokes.  Or maybe a poly choke.  I don't know.

g8rvet

read through the posts on here.  You will need a shotcup with TSS for sure.  Ballistic Products has what you need.  My M/L likes the 15gm/cc #7 but TSS will work too.  If it is possible, threading the barrel for a choke will be a huge difference.  If not, maybe try lead.  I read somewhere about a recipe that does well in more open cylinders.  May have been on here.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

TScottW99

I'd stay away from a threaded choke, too much of a pain to load. Have a jug choke put in the shotgun barrel, I have one on my CVA 12 gauge and it shoots well.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

joey46

Good luck. Cherish that New Englander.  They are almost impossible to find in decent shape