Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Gobbler Down!

Started by notsure, April 12, 2023, 01:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notsure

I'll post additional pictures and determine the score later this evening. He was a typical fat upper Midwest turkey, weighing in just shy of 25 pounds.

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

JeffC

Awesome job, please get all the pictures before you cut off beard and spurs. Any problems please let us know , we are here to help.

Tom007

A real beauty there, congrats!
"Solo hunter"

Dr Juice

Lone Star Eastern

That's a fat ole bird to us in the south! Let us know the other measurements when you get around to taking them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lacire

Looks like it's a roper, nice fat bird, congratulations  :icon_thumright:

Spladle160

That's a bit of a different pose than some I've seen. I like it! always tough taking selfies with game. Great work!

Happy

Congrats! That's a fat one

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

snoman4

Congrats on a great bird!

Vintage

Congrats. Big nice bird.

crow

Quote from: Spladle160 on April 13, 2023, 08:54:57 PM
That's a bit of a different pose than some I've seen. I like it! always tough taking selfies with game. Great work!

They stay as they lay, this one looks like he fell and broke his neck running from some kind of glare thats in the picture :happy0167:

Nice one Mr. Notsure, should be some fine eating

randy6471

Congrats! That's a nice one!!

HillclimberWV

Nice bird man. Congrats

notsure

I just managed to find time to tell the story behind this hunt and I promise to keep it short. I arrived at my spot (near Chatfield, MN) around 5:30 AM and set out two hen decoys. My experience hunting this farm suggested that from 2021 or so, the area is loaded with jakes. Moreover, I've witnessed gobblers run off by a gang of these punks on several occasions just last Spring. So, I went conservative and stuck with hen decoys only. I was sitting on the edge of a cornfield looking over a steep wooded embankment that borders the Root River. Around 6 AM I heard my first gobble, which was quickly answered by multiple turkeys roosted up and down the river's edge. It was one of those gorgeous mornings where the birds were gobbling at everything. Lovesick pheasants, crows, even the sound of farm equipment managed to set them off. And then the hens chimed in around 6:30 and all went silent. So, I figured I'd wait until the gobblers had their go with the ladies and maybe get lucky after the hens departed for their nests later in the morning. By far most of the turkeys I've managed to kill came into my decoys well after they flew off the roost. Not last Wednesday. At a bit after 7 AM, a loud gobble sounded off just to my left. A minute later here comes a strutter walking up and out of the wood edge, absolutely mesmerized at the sight of two polymer hotties not 30 yards away. I didn't give him the chance for a meet and greet and blasted him at around 22 yards after he finally pulled his fan down. And that was that. A textbook turkey hunt like hundreds you can watch on any YouTube hunting channel. This bird was only the third or fourth gobbler I've killed within 30 minutes of fly-down, and on opening day to boot. And talk about great table fare! Anyway, it was a great hunt on a rare beautiful early Spring Day in SE MN. One of those experiences that make you appreciate life, which we all desperately need in these troubling times.  Thanks for accepting me as your teammate and good luck to everyone this Spring.