Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

My season kicks off tomorrow

Started by aclawrence, April 08, 2023, 12:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Here we go guys! It's after 11:00 and somehow, after waiting all year for turkey season, here I am getting my stuff together. There's a 50% chance of rain all morning so I'm ditching the vest and going with my chest rig. I've been out twice and have yet to hear a turkey. I went out last Friday morning to listen, and Saturday I took my son on the youth hunt. We hiked about 2.5 of some beautiful creek bottoms. I'm going in blind tomorrow. I know they came in and select cut an area last summer because I saw it from a distance during deer season. I think I'm going to head in there to get away from the crowds and see if I can find some birds. I'd love to stay dry and hear a gobble. If we get to converse that would be even better and to pull the trigger on another opener would be amazing. I'll report back tomorrow. Good luck to everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

aclawrence

So far it's just been me being surrounded by other hunters.  I have heard some gobbles at least.

turkey harvester

TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

aclawrence

Quote from: turkey harvester on April 09, 2023, 07:43:20 PM
Good luck brother!!
It looks like I'm going to need it. I know it was the opener but my gosh. The pressure was really effecting me yesterday. I sat down to a gobbler and four hens flew off. Later I figured there was a guy up above me that flushed the birds. Another truck parked fifty yards down the road from me for ten minutes then closes their door drives down another fifty and parks!  Later I moved and had two guys walk past me then I push further in and I walk past someone. I was really discouraged. I feel like there's not enough acreage on this WMA for the people to spread out. If you go in 1-2 miles your getting close to other roads. It wasn't this way not too long ago.  I hope the pressure will drop off in the middle of the week at least.

Turkeyman

Good luck and keep at it. Perseverance will eventually prevail.

dzsmith

Quote from: aclawrence on April 08, 2023, 12:04:15 PM
So far it's just been me being surrounded by other hunters.  I have heard some gobbles at least.

already had a person kill one in front of me both days here
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

turkey harvester

Well Monday morning cant get here fast enough. Took off opening morning hopng to get one on the board. Subs are scarce so its hard to take off when I want too. Got 3 weeks to try and get something done.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA

aclawrence

I'm back out for my second hunt this morning 4/14. Still trucks everywhere even in a Friday. I didn't hear anything at the first spot but randomly pulled over in another area and heard a gobble from the truck. Long story short, lots of maneuvering, finally got on the same ridge with him here roosted. He gobbled then went silent, in the mean time a hen is 50yards from me clucking away and he is not making a peep. I'm playing the patience game at the moment.

aclawrence

I'm heading back out in the morning for my third hunt. On my last hunt I ended up finding two gobblers and one was way back off the road from the access. I'll probably start there in the morning and see what happens. I'm hoping for less people pressure on a Tuesday.

Kygobblergetter

Good luck ac! I'm heading to north Georgia for a long weekend trip since the weather is going to be rough here at home. Hoping to at least learn a little for the future but I sure wouldn't complain about getting a shot at one

aclawrence

I found two more birds this morning. I feel like I may have spooked the first bird. He would not answer any of my calls and there was another bird firing away so I got up on my knees to gather my stuff and thought I heard a few steps. I had to leave early today but luckily the second bird was deep into the middle of a public section so hopefully he'll survive the weekend and be ready for me on Tuesday!  The pressure wasn't near as bad as last Friday. I think we're hitting that mid season lull in people pressure hopefully.

Moore

You'll get em, good things will happen
[

aclawrence

I'm going back in after them again in the morning. My brother went today and heard one bird gobble twice. He got set up and did a couple soft calls but the bird never gobbled again. The birds are tight lipped once you start calling to them. I'm going after the bird I found further in last Friday. I hope he's still hanging around in there. The reports I heard from the weekend were people didn't hear much gobbling so maybe no one messed with him.  After tomorrow I'm going to pick up and hit another area I had some success in last year.

aclawrence

Well I got dang close this morning but no cigar. I stopped in a  field on the way in to listen. A bird gobbled down in the bottom. I snuck down in the bottom and got a nice set up. I did a fly down with my hat and just a few soft calls. He flew down and hung out about 100yds up the bottom from me where he roosted. This is the part that hurts my feelings. He went up to that field, which is right by the gravel road, (one of those spots you see a truck sitting at and roll your eyes because you know a turkey will never be in that field beside the road on public land) and gobbled and and gobbled. I get fairly close back to the field. He sounds like he's almost in shotgun range but there's a wall of green trees and bushes between us. Finally a truck comes down the road and stops and starts calling. The end. I heard some turkeys walking back down towards the bottom where I was but never caught back up with them.