Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

It's tough being a GOAT

Started by Happy, April 05, 2023, 08:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

I figured since we are about 2.5 weeks out from turkey season that I would dig out my mouth calls and start warming up for the season. I didn't try real hard last year and am determined to give at least 25% more effort. This would mean I give 50% this year, which is pretty commendable in my opinion since I haven't recieved a pay raise.
Anyways, I was spreading around 5 ton of gravel with a rake,shovel, and wheelbarrow. (I work on my fitness level and practice calling while out of breath.) It comes in handy while hunting these mountains round here. So i was working on my yelps and purrs when I start hearing some gobbling in the distance. As I worked, it started getting closer. Coming around the side of the house, I saw a rare smoke phased gobbler. I didn't have much cover or room to work with, but I managed to call in this gobbler to .410, lead shot range. If I was an Indian I am sure my display of skill would have gotten me promoted to medicine man, son-in- law of the chief or some illustrious title. But I digress. My calls and calling are in need of improvement, but I have an order of calls on the way and 2.5 weeks to practice so I feel I will be ready. I did manage to snap a picture of the whole ordeal.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

JeffC

if that thing is real, I believe that is your delusional mythical sabbatical, looks awesome, i would be speed dialing my taxidermist.  Now go put it back in the pen, before your kids find out you let their pet get away.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

crow

That washed out color is nothing a little chuffa can't fix

lacire

I remember reading that those rare smoke phased gobblers are usually blind and deft but since you had just spread out five tons of gravel it was probably following your scent.  :TooFunny:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

GobbleNut

I had a chance to kill one of those in Gawgha one year,...but the kids playing in the yard next to him were unfortunately in my line of fire,...Darn the bad luck!   ;D :angel9: