turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New gun help. Had it with SX3 poor performance

Started by RiverRoost, March 28, 2023, 11:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

I have a sx3 12 ga Longbeard that I am just about fed up with. I've shot nitro 4/5/7 blend and rhino for years and got less than advertised numbers by them. I just bought an Indian creek 665 and apex 9's 3" and shot last weekend and it initially didn't look too impressive. I'm going to count my pattern today but I am just about at the end of the road with this gun. What gun would anyone recommend for next season? I k ow there's a ton of guns but part of me wants to stick to the 12 ga and just shoot 3" tss. Or would it make more sense if I did that to just move to a good 20 ga?

SumToy

That gun will shoot.   Check POA/POI.   Get all oil and gun cleaning solvent out the barrel.     That not a bad choke.  Do I think you buy better yes :TooFunny: but that one should do ok.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

RiverRoost

The barrel is probably a little dirty bc I've shot a few dove loads checking POI and shot probably 10 turkey loads through it this year. I know your chokes are awesome, bought one for my dads m2. Do you think the pattern would improve much just by running a bore snake several times or do I need to do my traditional cleaning with solvent and patches and brushes and alcohol?

SumToy

I would get all the oil and solvent out of barrel.   Try just one shell to see what it does. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Terry

I shoot a 20, but I had to go with a more open choke with my SX4. Ended up with a .585

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverRoost

I guess I owe my gun an apology! I shot it at a better target today with a dirty gun and actually circled the pattern and got 435 in the 10". Pattern just didn't look good on the smaller paper I shot last week.

bbcoach

Quote from: RiverRoost on March 28, 2023, 08:39:50 PM
I guess I owe my gun an apology! I shot it at a better target today with a dirty gun and actually circled the pattern and got 435 in the 10". Pattern just didn't look good on the smaller paper I shot last week.
Glad you figured out the problem.  Here is a TEACHING moment for ALL of us!  NEVER pattern your shotgun with small targets.  ALWAYS use 30" X 30" paper to pattern with.   

Fullfan

I have two on the Sx-3 long beards in 20ga.  Both do very well clean or dirty.
Hand loaded TSS. 
Glad you were albe to hit yours dialed in.
Don't gobble at me...

RiverRoost

Quote from: bbcoach on March 29, 2023, 07:24:32 AM
Glad you figured out the problem.  Here is a TEACHING moment for ALL of us!  NEVER pattern your shotgun with small targets.  ALWAYS use 30" X 30" paper to pattern with.

I typically always use a big piece of cardboard paper but didn't have any the day I first shot just made do with a shoot n see type target and was quickly reminded why you need to see the whole pattern regardless of if you think it's "dialed in"

chipper

Quote from: bbcoach on March 29, 2023, 07:24:32 AM

Yep good advice.