turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Size of scratch box striker

Started by Gint S, March 31, 2023, 03:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gint S

I just received Bob Fulcher scratch box, beautiful call, a little  louder than Lonnie Gilbert's, regarding sound quality, I think they are in the same league. But Gilbert's have biggest strikers. I use them with all my scratch box calls: SS, No Bull, etc. They are the most versatile regarding different sounds. Can somebody of seasoned users explain, what is advantage of very small strikers, B.Fulcher's, SS others. Do I miss something?

Guskie

Very good topic. I'm new to scratchers and would enjoy a discussion on how striker thickness, width, and length effects tone and volume. Obviously wood densities is a big factor as well.

GregGwaltney

Much of the decision on striker size/weight/wood depends on the scratcher itself, each one may require different tuning. This is just my thoughts based on the scratchers I have made.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

SS Calls

GregGwaltney is absolutely right in his statements. Another thing is people don't all have the same size hands. I make mine around 3.5 inches in length, sometimes slightly under. Not super short, but not super long. Long strikers are hard to hold comfortably for most people. I've ran a lot of different strikers, and seems to me the longer you get, the more dead they become near the center point, which is ok for gobbler yelps and clucks, but for a high start to the yelp with a good break, you need to start the yelp near the end of the striker and end the yelp near the center. I know there's hundreds of ways to run one. This is just based on my 30 years of hunting with them. Hope this helps.

TauntoHawk

The way I run them I prefer smaller strikers

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

paboxcall

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 01, 2023, 02:43:29 PM
The way I run them I prefer smaller strikers

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Agree, smaller is easier to control.

I have probably over one dozen scratcher strikers and its amazing how changing the wood can add a whole new hen or two for that soundboard.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

limb_hanger

I recently got one of Lonnie's scratchers and agree his size fits me very well

His calls seem to rival the sounds of a full short box

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

mountainhunter1

Quote from: SS Calls on April 01, 2023, 11:00:53 AM
"...but for a high start to the yelp with a good break, you need to start the yelp near the end of the striker and end the yelp near the center..."

And there you have it fellows - wise words from a knowledgeable man on how to make them play sweet music. As Mr. Al describes it, that to me is the only way to play them.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

PNWturkey

The Super Yelper cedar striker is my favorite.  It fits my hands well, has a nice soft tone.  I use it with the ~10 different scratch boxes that I own...

Marc

I like a wider striker. More forgiving yeah, indeed let's check for more time, and just easier to use for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

crow

Quote from: Marc on April 08, 2023, 02:08:34 AM
I like a wider striker. More forgiving yeah, indeed let's check for more time, and just easier to use for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc, is that the striker that came with his scratcher
I picked up one of his calls off of here but don't remember which striker I have came with it

callmakerman

I run my scratch boxes with a 4" striker that's about 5/8 wide as I don't care for a shorter striker. This length allows me to run up and down the striker for kee kee's , gobbler yelps and such.

Marc

Quote from: crow on April 09, 2023, 06:03:15 PM
Quote from: Marc on April 08, 2023, 02:08:34 AM

Marc, is that the striker that came with his scratcher
I picked up one of his calls off of here but don't remember which striker I have came with it

I actually used a striker from a different call, and when ordering a new call, asked him to make me wider strikers.  Nice thing about a custom call, is that they will customize it!  Lonnie did a great job, and sent me some wider strikers that were curved, and some that were flat... ;D  I far prefer the wider and flat strikers with his calls...   The wider curved strikers seem to work better with SS calls.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

crow