Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Getting closer

Started by reflexl, March 28, 2023, 08:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

Time to get stuff ready. First hunting will be in Texas. Leaving April 12th. After that 2 weeks in TN then leave the 31st headed to Kentucky. Doing something new in Texas. Going to handgun hunt one bird. That will be different for sure. We can't hunt them with handguns here and truthfully I don't think in our type of hunting it would be safe. Where we are going they do it all of the time. Known backstops and tons of private land with no one else on the place. We are planning on killing a few hogs while there. Should be a blast.

GobbleNut

Good luck,...and get us a good 'un!   :icon_thumright:

reflexl

That is the plan. Except for the year with covid and the year with staph infection I generally nail a big one or two.

JeffC

Quote from: reflexl on March 28, 2023, 08:18:08 AM
Time to get stuff ready. First hunting will be in Texas. Leaving April 12th. After that 2 weeks in TN then leave the 31st headed to Kentucky. Doing something new in Texas. Going to handgun hunt one bird. That will be different for sure. We can't hunt them with handguns here and truthfully I don't think in our type of hunting it would be safe. Where we are going they do it all of the time. Known backstops and tons of private land with no one else on the place. We are planning on killing a few hogs while there. Should be a blast.
what handgun and load are you taking? I know you have a few cannons, dont think you need the 1 you used to kill deer!?!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

reflexl

Quote from: JeffC on March 28, 2023, 03:46:11 PM
Quote from: reflexl on March 28, 2023, 08:18:08 AM
what handgun and load are you taking? I know you have a few cannons, dont think you need the 1 you used to kill deer!?!

I have been trying to decide. I really want to take my old flat top .44. I could do Turkeys and hogs with it. This is when having too many is a disadvantage. I have flip flopped about 20 times. I have thought about one of the custom long slide Glocks. They are incredible shooters as well. The last long slide I built is an absolute tack driver and plenty of power for hogs. It's a .45 Super. Really fun gun.

reflexl

I haven't decided which handgun to carry and actually haven't decided which shot gun to carry either. If running and gunning that little 28 gauge is mighty nice and with TSS works great at 40 yards. The muzzleloaders are fun and I can nearly bank on another record book bird but a bit messy. The 12gauges are ready to pick up and go as well. I am taking my Riley Corder pot and one of my Mark Cornelius pots. Probably one of Matt Vancise's boxes. No antiques on this trip.

Happy

Good luck, have fun,and be safe!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

JeffC

cannons for a, at best, 20lb animal, unless you're going for head shot? Do you reload? are you backing down on load? I would love to take a deer with handgun, but for turkey I want to use a bow. Jersey wants another $140 for separate license. So someday I will try here in Maryland. Sorry for all the questions, just find it very interesting.

Happy

I have toyed with the idea of killing one with a bow myself. I am just not sure if I have the necessary horsepower to get adequate penetration. I hear they are pretty tough.

JeffC

if your pulling at least 50lbs, its more about shot placement, I shoot 64lbs, fixed head now, had 2 bucks killed with Rage 2 blade heads, terrible blood trails, so saved Rage for turkey's, shooting Iron Wills now, great fixed head. But just like I am questioning handgun bullet loads for a turkey, fixed broad head blows right thru turkey a expandable head will do a lot of damage, a bullet will just blow thru? Dont know, havent done either, reason I am asking questions..

Happy

Mine was tongue in cheek. It's about like reflexl using the 45 super on a turkey.
80lb pull, 29" draw, 340 IBO rated speed. 550 grain arrow with a qad fixed head.It works fine on deer, so I am thinking it should work on a turkey.

Happy

Anyways back to the subject at hand. Reflexl, would you have any bullets on thos hand cannons that would open up  a little on a turkey? I would think they would just punch more of a hole, making shot placement pretty critical

crow

Hey man have a safe trip and a good hunt

crow

I shot a fall Jake with a .405 grain hard cast lead bullet out of an old 45-70 trapdoor at 24yds.
knocked him down and he flopped but wasn't going any where, very little meat damage

JeffC

Quote from: crow on March 28, 2023, 10:35:55 PM
I shot a fall Jake with a .405 grain hard cast lead bullet out of an old 45-70 trapdoor at 24yds.
knocked him down and he flopped but wasn't going any where, very little meat damage
Big heavy bullet, did it pass thru? Would think that would knock him into next county..