OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Striker finish question

Started by Beardscustom, March 23, 2023, 10:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beardscustom

For those of yall that turn your own strikers. Should a sanding sealer be used to keep the finish from seeping/running all the thru grain. Having trouble on some woods doing this. Thanks

mastevt

I just tap off the last inch or so with tape, before putting on the finish.

Beardscustom

misfire

I use a CA finish and dont have that problem. If you use oil, then do like mastevt mentioned
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Ches.

I tape off the last 3/4" or so also. Use Tru-oil applied with finger. Takes a lot of coats but turn out well.
Ches.

doublespurs21

like what the others say about taping the end off..but i found something different to use for spray finish, it is VHT wheel paint, super fast drying time , about 10 minutes on first coat than apply the second coat ,, done.......... comes in a gloss clear,,  really like this stuff, but it does smell , use outdoors,

mastevt

Quote from: doublespurs21 on April 02, 2023, 03:21:29 PM
like what the others say about taping the end off..but i found something different to use for spray finish, it is VHT wheel paint, super fast drying time , about 10 minutes on first coat than apply the second coat ,, done.......... comes in a gloss clear,,  really like this stuff, but it does smell , use outdoors,

Have you tried Minwax PolyAcrylic?   If not, you should give it a shot.  I sprayed a couple Trough Calls this morning around 9am.  Sanded and 2nd coat put on around 3pm.  Cleans up with hor water.