OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What’s the one call you done leave home without?

Started by InmemoryofLMC, March 22, 2023, 09:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

OG PP......or I'm just taking a walk...
"Solo hunter"

ScottTaulbee

A ghost cut mouth call. If I didn't have at least 2 mouth calls on me I wouldn't go to the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Primos Ol Betsy Grey Slate with JLH Frogwood or Birch laminate striker. 

BDeal

Turkeytaker203

MAD Smokin' Glass. Had it for many years and have yet to find one I like better, the gobblers like it too.

btodd00

Quote from: joey46 on March 23, 2023, 03:48:17 AM
Knight and Hale Lonesome Hen.

Is there a trick to that thing? ive had people tell me throughout the years they work/sound good. I found one off eBay about a year ago cheap, nothing looks out of place about it and it was still in the original package but it sounds rough

wchadw

Cody WC slate and black knight striker

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: btodd00 on March 23, 2023, 08:12:29 AM

Is there a trick to that thing? ive had people tell me throughout the years they work/sound good. I found one off eBay about a year ago cheap, nothing looks out of place about it and it was still in the original package but it sounds rough
I bought one new in package a month or so ago off eBay. At first it sounded terrible, I used the included emery cloth, scuffed up the copper surface on it and could get it to sound decent, I undone the top, ripped off the rubber? Piece that the spring was on and there's a small indentation under it, put the spring in that hole and put it back together, tightened the cap to were the spring is almost touching the black button on the paddle section of it and that sucker will sing!

mountainhunter1

Five things I do not leave home without:

1. A Scratch box (SS Customs is most often the choice).

2. One gray slate pot and two strikers (Will use various gray slate pots throughout the season - Brad Roberts, Lonnie Mabry, Townsend for the most part) I have a Nathan Taylor Purple slate that will work its way into the mix this time around. 

3. A wingbone or a trumpet (Make my own wingbones and tend to use them most times). I'm killing turkeys with them, but still am a big work in progress with getting rasp in my yelps. 

4. A diaphragm (Usually a Woodhaven Toxic Orange or a Cane Creek Lost Poult these days).

5.  I do not leave home without a crow call.

That gives me five hens in my arsenal for the day (Changing strikers on my pot gives me the fifth hen).  I have a good number of box calls and will carry a box some, but they tend to be less fun to drag through the woods all day than the smaller lighter stuff listed above (hunting rough up and down terrain). But sound wise, a box is hard to beat.

I just bought a Mike Yingling copper that may push me to have a must have sixth item in my mix when I head to the woods. The yelp on Mike's copper is real nasally and raspy in a different way than most other pots.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Mick2394

Semper Fi

cracker4112

I always have a Quaker Boy Old Boss Hen, a Woodhaven Red Wasp, and a Lonnie Mabry Aluminum Pot.  Others in and out, but always those.

btodd00

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 23, 2023, 09:02:24 AM

I bought one new in package a month or so ago off eBay. At first it sounded terrible, I used the included emery cloth, scuffed up the copper surface on it and could get it to sound decent, I undone the top, ripped off the rubber? Piece that the spring was on and there's a small indentation under it, put the spring in that hole and put it back together, tightened the cap to were the spring is almost touching the black button on the paddle section of it and that sucker will sing!

Im going to take that sucker apart when I get home

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: btodd00 on March 23, 2023, 09:16:41 AM
Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 23, 2023, 09:02:24 AM

Im going to take that sucker apart when I get home
I hope it helps you. I was on YouTube watching the old ultimate hunting they had that I watched as a kid and heard David running one and knew I had to give one a try. Found that one on eBay and when I got it in I was disappointed to say the least, after doing that tinkering I'm so impressed with it that for the first time in 23 seasons of turkey hunting, I'm seriously looking at taking a pushpin along. I've not ever found a pushpin that sounds like that one does now.

tracker#1

Halloran "Crystal Mistress", JLH snakewood striker

gobblers roost

2010 Holloran crystal mistress
I have 2

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk