OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 youth rem.

Started by thebull, June 25, 2011, 06:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebull

finally got  my son a 870 youth 21'' barrel and waiting on the rem. sf choke . what loads are you all using . would like to use 2 3/4 to 3'' if my 8yr old can shoot them. what are your suggestions. got some hw#7s low recoil last yr for the rossi 20ga they shot pretty good for a mod. single shot.

gophert

My 10 yr old daughter shot the Federal HW 2 3/4 #7's.  They patterned very well with the RSF choke out to 35 yards.  She was able to take a turkey with that shell as well.  It kicks very little. 

Search this forum and you should find my patterns of the exact gun, with the RSF and the federals.  Good Luck!

hookedspur

PG 555 and H13 7s .  :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: All around.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Eric Gregg

I have an 870 Express youth model and I am shooting Remington 3" HD's with a Rem SF tukey choke.
Good choice going to the SF choke, as the full that comes with it is too wide open.
Pattern is all over the place even at 20 yards. I am getting a good pattern with the SF choke.
A lot of hunters use the 20 with a choke that can handle HeviShot and shoot Hevi shot loads. This combination has produced awesome patterns for a 20 gauge at 40-50 yards.
Where I hunt, 40 yards isn't going to happen. 30 yards will be my max.

TrkyHntr

I would use the Federal Heavyweight #7's in 2 3/4 or 3". My rem 870 compact with a 21" barrel will shoot low 170's at 40yds, using a hastings .562. I know that's way to tight of a pattern for a youngster, but either way it's the best factory load for the 20ga, IMO.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

surehuntsalot

Federal Heavyweight #7's or 6's and the "Old" Remington Hevishot #6's are all  I shoot in my 870 youth
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Eric Gregg

Can the Remingtons SF choke handle Federal Heavyweight?
What about Hevi Shot?

FullChoke

The RSF chokes that can handle these two loads will have a note printed on the choke indicating that they are compatible with HTL shot. Some of the RSF chokes do not carry this note.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

savduck

Im gonna be shooting Federal HW 7s out of the Sum Toy 562 choke design for that load. Just got it all put together. Havent shot it yet. Should be a good one though.
Georgia Boy

Eric Gregg

Quote from: TeocTom on July 22, 2011, 09:09:10 PM
I have an 870 Express youth model and I am shooting Remington 3" HD's with a Rem SF tukey choke.
Good choice going to the SF choke, as the full that comes with it is too wide open.
Pattern is all over the place even at 20 yards. I am getting a good pattern with the SF choke.
A lot of hunters use the 20 with a choke that can handle HeviShot and shoot Hevi shot loads. This combination has produced awesome patterns for a 20 gauge at 40-50 yards.
Where I hunt, 40 yards isn't going to happen. 30 yards will be my max.

Dito here. I have the same 20 gauge youth model and the original choke that came with it was too open even at 20 yards. I tried a tru-glo gobbstopper, but i have had a better pattern using the REM SF choke with HD load, #6's.
They are 3" and do pack a little punch. Really good if you know the birds are going to be in your face.