Previous topic - Next topic

BennieGobbler

Travis is the man!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Print by Madison, on Flickr

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

POk3s

Kansas flat kicked my butt for a few days. I was never in the game until the final morning. I had actually found this bird using my optics after looking at some jakes in a field. He was strutting up on the knob I had been using to roost birds from. I didn't go there that evening as it hadn't been working. So of course he'd be there.

I roosted one other bird but could not verify it was a Tom with 100% certainty, so I decided to go after this one even though he had hens. I planned on setting up in a field edge and hoping to get a hen angry enough to come in and look at my single hen decoy.

The next morning was beautiful. Mid 30s and clear. The birds gobbled where I'd hoped they would (as I actually didn't get to roost them properly, just see them before roosting). A hen flew down and closed quick on my decoy. She held up as no one else followed her and retreated back to the group. After watching this Tom and a Jake strut around and gobble in the corner of this field I had had enough. There is a ditch that ran a border around the field they were in, and if they stayed in the corner I could use it to get close enough. That sounds easy, but I had been trying this same move for 3 days with no luck. They were always too far, could see that there was no hen there calling to them, or they'd pick you off.

Well I was able to close the distance properly and bag a fine rio gobbler.

I'm in iowa now and the weather is throwing everything at me. High winds, rain, lightning, thunder, cold temps. It's currently 41 degrees and raining and I think the wind is blowing the same. Hopefully I have another story to tell soon.

host pictures online free

Mossyguy

Good deal man! I hunted Kansas 4-5 years ago....we had a blast!

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

harleytom

Great job! Hunted Kansas a couple of years ago with a buddy. We were fortunate to tag out first day but I wasn't overly impressed with the number of birds we saw/heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POk3s

Thank you guys. This was my second attempt there. I came with my dad last year and we spent a day and a half trying to just find birds. Then a day and a half hunting before coming home. Had to go back. Like everywhere, numbers are down but I did see a lot of Jake's and Jennie's.

Tagged out in iowa earlier this afternoon so I should have a sizable upgrade! I know you guys know all about those eastern gobbles but man they're a treat for a western boy who hears merriams most of the time.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

twyatt

Quote from: POk3s on April 20, 2023, 09:50:47 PM
Thank you guys. This was my second attempt there. I came with my dad last year and we spent a day and a half trying to just find birds. Then a day and a half hunting before coming home. Had to go back. Like everywhere, numbers are down but I did see a lot of Jake's and Jennie's.

Tagged out in iowa earlier this afternoon so I should have a sizable upgrade! I know you guys know all about those eastern gobbles but man they're a treat for a western boy who hears merriams most of the time.

Man you weren't lying about the upgrade, heck of a good bird!!!

harleytom

Very nice upgrade! Funny what you said about Easterns, I guess we all kinda take for granted what we have. I'm excited to head to WY in a couple of weeks to chase those Merriams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

POk3s

He sure felt heavy when I picked him up and toting him back to the truck I had to switch arms more than usual. I just thought the miles and early mornings were fatiguing me a bit. When I put him on the scale I about fell over. Then I started laughing.... :TooFunny:

I just knew he had a longer beard, better spurs, and was sure he was worthy of an upgrade by weight. Very surprised!

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club