OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rank commercial TSS

Started by compton30, March 02, 2023, 10:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compton30

With all the manufacturers having their own offering of TSS, it got me to thinking about how you guys who may have tried more of them than me (Federal) would stack them up against each other.

Can anyone offer up how they think each manufacturers TSS stands up against one another? I've also considered that TSS is probably one of those things that is too good to screw up, so there may not be much difference. But I'm still interested to hear opinions

ChesterCopperpot

Of everything I've ever shot the FoxTrot is the top of the heap. I'd put Apex number two and I usually wind up shooting Apex since it's more readily available (FoxTrot can be hard to get). Of the Apex, I think the straight 9s have consistently patterned better out of my guns than the Ninjas. Don't know what else is different in those loads but it seems to be something more than a slightly larger pellet size (8.5). I've shot the BOSS and I've shot the Federals and a few other brands and the Federals were always the worst loads I've tried. Saw a fairly well known hunting personality posting some patterning pics yesterday on Instagram running Federals and he seemed to be really impressed, but I wouldn't have been happy at all. Regardless when your running ~362 pellets per ounce you're going to have devastating pattern densities compared to anything we used to shoot, BUT in my experience and opinion there can be some tremendous differences between loads. I've never seen a bad pattern from any FoxTrot load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BandedSpur

Can't speak from personal experience as I have only shot handloads since 2009, but from everything I have read and the patterns I have seen, I would rank Federal dead last.

HookedonHooks

I've seen 3 larger factory brands perform out a Mossberg SA .410. Federal performed substantially better than both the Browning and Remingtons.

Apex and the hand loads both did substantially better than Federal.

I saw Bass Pro/Cabela's is selling "Herters" brand TSS this year. I won't be testing it but I'd imagine it will fall in line with Browning and Remington.

dzsmith

Quote from: HookedonHooks on March 04, 2023, 08:06:36 AM
I've seen 3 larger factory brands perform out a Mossberg SA .410. Federal performed substantially better than both the Browning and Remingtons.

Apex and the hand loads both did substantially better than Federal.

I saw Bass Pro/Cabela's is selling "Herters" brand TSS this year. I won't be testing it but I'd imagine it will fall in line with Browning and Remington.
. Blue collar outdoors has done several pattern vids using herters. I've never shot it, as I load my own and have some apex as backup / comparison loads. But from the videos ive seen herters should rank near the top.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

randywallace

In most every gauge offered, Federal, Browning, Hevi18 and Remington load a lighter load of TSS than what I would call their more custom competitors (Apex, Boss, Rogue, Pendleton, Nitro, FoxTrot, Burgess Creek).

In 20 gauge, my best patterns came in this order:  Boss, Rogue, Apex, Nitro, then finally Federal.  That wasn't surprising given that Boss has roughly another 180 pellets in each shell over the Federal.  I haven't shot Foxtrot or Burgess Creek, but understand them to both be very fine shells.  Given that the prices are relatively comparable on all of the TSS loads, Federal would be my last pic.

owlhoot

Federals shot the best out of a fixed full choke yildez .410 . Better than browning, and a whole lot better than Ninja which performed like Improved Cylinder.
Just food for thought as too what your shooting.
These were purchased the first year federal brought the out.
In the 20 gauges Federals shot right there with the Winchester M37A fixed full as the turkey choked guns I have tried.
A friends 301 Stevens stock choke turkey did well with Herters .410 TSS.

Lcmacd 58

I'm shooting a 20 guage and a Rob Robert's choke.
Federal works best for me. I haven't shot any hand loads or those that are extremely hard to find.

zelmo1

I have only shot TSS out of my 20 and 28, same order for both out of an IC choke. Foxtrot, Browning, Federal and Apex. I have only shot these 4. I actually prefer my handloads as I have put a lot of time into getting the best overall performance as oppposed to stuffing the hull as full as possible. I will shoot my hand loads as long as I can get components. Factory Ammo will be Foxtrot, Browning or Federal. It isnt cheap, but do zthe work and get your best load for you.  :z-twocents:  Z

krm944

In the 410, I have found Herter's to be pretty good. Federal was next and Browning was the worst. Gun was an SA 410 with stock choke and Jebs XFull.

Herter's is a 3/4 oz load and both Federal and Browning are 13/16oz (approx 25 more pellets)

rakkin6

For my 12 and 20 gauges using Indian Creek chokes I have had good results with Apex and Rogue ammo.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

wchadw

I load my own now but I have used
Apex
Burgess creek
Nitro
Federal
Foxtrot
And a couple others

I always thought the nitros were the best
Federal were worst in all my guns
All rest were good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KentuckyLB

CALLM2U

The first TSS I ever tried was Federal.  I was pleased with the outcome, but didn't have anything to compare it to.  I found a really good sale on Federal several years ago and bought a good stash.  I have since then invested in a good stash of Apex. 

Everything I read and hear is that Federal is the worst of the factory loads.  Given every turkey I have shot with them has folded immediately, I can't complain. But I am looking forward to the day when I use the last of my Federals and start to use the APEX. 

b wilt

I like the Herter's in my 870's