turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg bantam 500 20 gauge youth

Started by kytrkyhntr, February 27, 2023, 06:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kytrkyhntr

This was my first gun, shot hevi shot 3" out of a XxFull Comp-n-Choke when I started hunting with it years ago. Now I would like to bring it back out given how light it is and how well it shot. I have a stock pile of tss #9 so  I'm going to pattern it when weather breaks. What chokes did yours like? My experience with mossy pumps has been that they like tight chokes. This comp n choke is .565

What do yalls like?
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

runngun

I really don't care for anything tighter than 562 especially when it comes to TSS.  Most likely blown patterns are the result with anything tighter than that.
Please let us know when you get a chance to check out the patterns.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

mountainhunter1

I have that same gun in a youth super bantam and was able to get a full size stock to work with it last year. Love it as it weighs nothing and is a joy to shoot. I am shooting a .570 and getting pretty solid patterns. The .565 you own may be just fine. Try it before dropping money on a new tube.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

cannonball

I've got a 20 gauge Super Bantam that I'm going to us this year, I'm making  the switch from 12 to 20 gauge. I just ordered an Indian Creek .555 from Midway and some Verdict TSS #9's. It might be a week or so before I get to pattern it but I'll let you know how it does. Also, from your user name I assume you're in Kentucky? If you happen to be anywhere near East Tennessee, I'll let you try the choke in your gun if there's a range between us we can meet up at.

paboxcall

Tried an IC .555, IC .562, and a Sumtoy .562 in my Mossberg 500. This gun prefered the .555 with straight #8s, straight #8.5s and straight #9s.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

vt35mag

IC .555 in mine

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ridge Rooster

Gonna put one together myself so interested in what is working in their short barrels? I have used a Carlson .575 in several short barreled Remingtons and get really good hunting patterns but will probably use a FF3 on this gun and would like something a little tighter. Still on fence as I am waiting for trigger spring kit and FF3 mount to arrive.

Keep us posted on what you try. Is yours the 20" barrel?

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

RED NECK

Both my 500 youth shoot well with .550 truglo ssx and a .560 pinhoti, longbeard 6's, Grand slam 5's,hevi shot 6's, Ive shot tss #7's and they do well too but I get very good patterns from the other shells so I have no reason for tss from these guns, sorry this is only picture I can find,I am sure I have one or 2 maybe of the other shells but they shoot as good or better. These are awesome little guns,they also are like a little stick of dynamite when you pull the trigger, It's like the little baby bam bam version of the Mossberg 535 3.5".
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

tcbowhunter

I use a .568 Carlson's longbeard xr in my son's bantam using 8.5 TSS.  Only choke I tried but it throws a nice hunting pattern

mountainhunter1

Quote from: kytrkyhntr on February 27, 2023, 06:38:28 PM
This was my first gun, shot hevi shot 3" out of a XxFull Comp-n-Choke when I started hunting with it years ago. Now I would like to bring it back out given how light it is and how well it shot. I have a stock pile of tss #9 so  I'm going to pattern it when weather breaks. What chokes did yours like? My experience with mossy pumps has been that they like tight chokes. This comp n choke is .565

What do yalls like?

A lot of good chokes mentioned by the fellows on here and I appreciate their feedback for you. That said, I mention once again that if you have not already pulled the trigger, try that Compnchoke .565 before you go and spend 70-100 more dollars on a new choke. I think that there is a better than 60-70% chance that current .565 choke that you have in hand will do all that you need it to do. TSS has so many pellets and is not near as picky as lead about what you feed it through.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Ridge Rooster

Anyone tried the Carlson TSS Choke in their Bantams? They are .555 constriction.

Ridge Rooster

Ridge Rooster

Got my Bantam put together yesterday evening. I installed one of the "MONSTRUM" Burris FF3 bases. Will give a review of base to anyone interested because it is a good bit cheaper option than a "Scalarworks" but sits as low and incorporates three screws to hold base to receiver. The base is ridged and FF3 fits it great. The supplied screws suck and I highly recommend going with some decent screws as I believe the base is built in China and supplied screws suck. I have several different size screws so with just  slight modification to the front screw of the three, I used my TORX head screws to secure base to receiver. The screws I used were 8-40 3/8" Torx head screws. The front one I had to grind about a 1/16" off to allow the action to work without drag. The supplied Allen head screws I did not trust as I usually torque the base screws at 20 inch/lbs. I tried to use the supplied sight to base screws designated for the FF3 and stripped one of the allen heads at 10 Inch/lbs, I usually go to 15. This is where there might be a problem matching screws as the supplied M3X 0.5mm best I can tell and I did not have any that size. Luckily they provide screws for the Vortex Venom red dot in package and they were Torx head so I just used them.

Waiting on MCARBO trigger springs and Camo Wrap from Mossy Oak and she will be ready for the woods. Will shoot it this weekend with my handloads to see how it is going to do. Went ahead and bought a Indian Creek .555 for it also to try as I have had excellent results in other 20's with the IC and my handloads. BUT hope the Carlson .555 does good to keep barrel as short and handy as possible.

Ridge Rooster

Ridge Rooster

Shot Bantam for first time today with my Handloads and it did around 240 in 10" with another 200 in 20". Use to seeing a little over 300 in my other 20"s with the Indian Creek ,555 so I am expecting it to do that or near when ever I get my IC in.

Ridge Rooster

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Ridge Rooster on March 10, 2023, 02:59:00 PM
Shot Bantam for first time today with my Handloads and it did around 240 in 10" with another 200 in 20". Use to seeing a little over 300 in my other 20"s with the Indian Creek ,555 so I am expecting it to do that or near when ever I get my IC in.

Ridge Rooster

Thanks for the feedback - Beyond what it is posting in the ten on your other guns, can you recall what are you averaging in your outer 20" with those .555's?

Ridge Rooster

Around 200 plus as I recall. There are 580 pellets give or take a few in the 1 5/8oz load I believe. I should be getting my Indian Creek in today and will give it a try and let you know. I also got a Truglo Headbanger that I will give a try today.

Ridge Rooster