turkeys for tomorrow

2023 Strut Stoppers story thread

Started by turkey harvester, February 27, 2023, 08:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Congrats. Nice pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeyman

Way to go guys. I have to wait until May 1...I'm jealous!!

Moore

That's awesome guys, it is great to hear all the great stories. I can't wait to get after them
[

Kygobblergetter

You guys are killing it! Always love starting the season off hot

fmf

Quote from: dzsmith on March 18, 2023, 11:43:20 PM
Another cold windy day gobbler , number 2 for me.  Not a contest bird , but not far off . He still had 1 spur that was 1&1/4 and the other was only 1&1/16. 2 mature birds in 2 days is pretty good luck . He gobbled one time , about 5 minutes before I killed him . 4pm

Leave some for the rest of us!  ????. Congratulations man, you're on fire

fmf

Quote from: birdman67 on March 18, 2023, 03:05:00 PM
Got number 2 today. He came in off the roost but hung up at about 75 yards in the woods. I continued to purr and cluck as he walked off. He worked his way around and once he saw the strutter decoy he came in running. He was done at 10 steps. Both birds I have taken had 1 1/16 spurs but the first bird scores a little better for the team.

Y'all are tough on these birds!  Congrats!

dzsmith

Quote from: fmf on March 19, 2023, 06:51:37 PM
Quote from: dzsmith on March 18, 2023, 11:43:20 PM
Another cold windy day gobbler , number 2 for me.  Not a contest bird , but not far off . He still had 1 spur that was 1&1/4 and the other was only 1&1/16. 2 mature birds in 2 days is pretty good luck . He gobbled one time , about 5 minutes before I killed him . 4pm

Leave some for the rest of us!  ????. Congratulations man, you're on fire
I'm going back to work for a few. Nows your chance lol...just kidding, you'll get one . This weather is pretty miserable ....
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

turkey harvester

TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

birdman67

I took my dad out Saturday to get his first bird of the year. We setup on a gobbling bird in a green field. At first light, about 15 hens flew over our head and across a creek. Not long after that, the bird that had been gobbling did the same. They flew down and the hens began to call constantly. I mean they never let up for over an hour. They called to each other every 2 to 3 seconds. It was crazy. The gobbler was joined by another gobbler and they were hammering every 2 or 3 minutes at the hens. I was in the mix with them also. I called and tried to convince them to cross the creek. Another gobbler sounded off across the creek to our right. Then another gobbled to our left but a good ways away. A jake came out and tried to gobble. But quickly walked off. I had a strutter out and I'm sure he was shy of that. I keep calling and the hens keep arguing with me. All of a sudden, 3 red heads appeared on the other end of the field to our left. They came running to the stutter. Once in range, I told dad to drop the one on the left. He had separated from the other two. After the shot, they jumped on the downed bird and whipped him pretty good before eventually walking off. 10.25 beard, 7/8 spurs, 16.25 lbs
Loving God's Creation!

turkey harvester

Congrats Tandy!! Awesome story, Gotta love it when they wanna play right.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA

Moore

Quote from: birdman67 on March 26, 2023, 08:46:30 PM
I took my dad out Saturday to get his first bird of the year. We setup on a gobbling bird in a green field. At first light, about 15 hens flew over our head and across a creek. Not long after that, the bird that had been gobbling did the same. They flew down and the hens began to call constantly. I mean they never let up for over an hour. They called to each other every 2 to 3 seconds. It was crazy. The gobbler was joined by another gobbler and they were hammering every 2 or 3 minutes at the hens. I was in the mix with them also. I called and tried to convince them to cross the creek. Another gobbler sounded off across the creek to our right. Then another gobbled to our left but a good ways away. A jake came out and tried to gobble. But quickly walked off. I had a strutter out and I'm sure he was shy of that. I keep calling and the hens keep arguing with me. All of a sudden, 3 red heads appeared on the other end of the field to our left. They came running to the stutter. Once in range, I told dad to drop the one on the left. He had separated from the other two. After the shot, they jumped on the downed bird and whipped him pretty good before eventually walking off. 10.25 beard, 7/8 spurs, 16.25 lbs
congrats on a successful hunt. Great story
[

wvhoyt19

Congrats guys!

bornagain64

dzsmith

Well..... skunked in Texas again. Only went 2 mornings . All gobbling adult birds pretty much erased  n the first hour or 2 of opening morning. Birds all roosted in one wad on this place . I was only there 2  mornings and the one evening . Lots of jakes ... but I figure this parcel is pretty much done . You never bank on having to make a 3rd trip to to Texas .... Looks like I will be lol. Hope I can keep the steam rolling for my other trips .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Kygobblergetter

Got it done in South Carolina today. Up until this point everything about South Carolina has been a mess. That's not what this is about though so no need to elaborate. My buddy and I started the morning hunting some private that I got access to but the only birds were well off the property. We decided to go check out some public and I picked a good looking area where I could get down along a river bottom that doesn't have much access to it. Once we got to the bottom we began finding sign and before too long we heard a bird gobble about 300 yards or so down the river. We cut the distance by about 100 yards and could hear turkeys yelping ahead of us not too far. Before long we could see the birds working our way and we were kinda stuck out in the open. Moving little by little when I could I got to a pine tree that was about 3 ft to my right. About this same time we lost sight of the birds. I let a few minutes pass and yelped softly but got no answer. Another minute or two and I yelped softly again. Before long I could see birds moving our direction and could tell it was two long beards. Because of our less than great set up we knew a double was going to be nearly impossible. Eventually the birds came to the right (my side) and my buddy couldn't get a shot. At 40 yards the looker putted and started to leave so I let out a few yelps as I raised my gun and got the dot settled on the strutter. To my surprise he never seemed to see me lift my gun at all even though his head was raised and looking hard because of the other bird putting. A trigger pull and it was all over.