Started by turkey harvester, February 27, 2023, 08:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey harvester

This is where we want to hear your story. Tell us the details too
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

birdman67

We are on the board. Yesterday was really cold and I didn't hear a peep. Today, I heard multiple birds. It didn't work out at daylight. I setup on one but he wouldn't cooperate. I moved around on him and tried to fire him up. After a few hours, 2 gobblers came in from behind me. I was not able to get them to come around me and then eventually eased off. I decided to give them a break and try another bird I heard gobbling at daylight. Sat down at 11:32. Called once and they hammered. Within 5 minutes I could hear them to my left. I spotted them going around a ridge. After a little purr, 3 longbeards came strutting in. They got nervous and I took the one closer to me. Hunt over at 11:40. I will get him uploaded at soon as I can.
Loving God's Creation!

Dmason3

Quote from: birdman67 on March 16, 2023, 07:43:24 PM
We are on the board. Yesterday was really cold and I didn't hear a peep. Today, I heard multiple birds. It didn't work out at daylight. I setup on one but he wouldn't cooperate. I moved around on him and tried to fire him up. After a few hours, 2 gobblers came in from behind me. I was not able to get them to come around me and then eventually eased off. I decided to give them a break and try another bird I heard gobbling at daylight. Sat down at 11:32. Called once and they hammered. Within 5 minutes I could hear them to my left. I spotted them going around a ridge. After a little purr, 3 longbeards came strutting in. They got nervous and I took the one closer to me. Hunt over at 11:40. I will get him uploaded at soon as I can.
Congrats man! Sounds like you were covered up in birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dzsmith

It was on my bucket list to call a bird up for my dad. Though he's killed many birds in his life , and we only hunt together a couple times a year ... I've never actually called one up for him. Today that changed . He hunts with a 2.75" 12 with a fixed modified barrel and he shoots #4s so range is very limited . We've had some close calls in the past but with only a hunt or 2 a season.... It's tough to get him one , not to mention he's going on 68. This bird gobbled and strutted all the way to the barrel. Couldn't ask for much better .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

JeffC

Congrats to your Dad, dzsmith, and too you for taking the time to get out with him. Great pictures.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

fmf

Quote from: birdman67 on March 16, 2023, 07:43:24 PM

congrats!  sounds like a fun day!

fmf

Quote from: dzsmith on March 16, 2023, 11:28:53 PM
It was on my bucket list to call a bird up for my dad. Though he's killed many birds in his life , and we only hunt together a couple times a year ... I've never actually called one up for him. Today that changed . He hunts with a 2.75" 12 with a fixed modified barrel and he shoots #4s so range is very limited . We've had some close calls in the past but with only a hunt or 2 a season.... It's tough to get him one , not to mention he's going on 68. This bird gobbled and strutted all the way to the barrel. Couldn't ask for much better .

Thats awesome!  a hunt to cherish

wvhoyt19

Congrats!!

Kygobblergetter

Congrats guys! Sounds like a great start to the season!

dzsmith

Rained all night and half the day today . Got on a public land gobbler yesterday evening , and he vanished on me while in shotgun range . Managed to semi roost him. But obviously couldn't hunt him this morning in a monsoon. I came out this afternoon when the rain quit and setup basically in the same spot but with a better view . And managed to call this bird up again. Only this time I was sitting on the ridge I shot him on and killed on the ridge I was sitting on the day before. A nice public land stud . 1&1/4 spurs and 10.25" beard. He managed to get behind a tree and stick only his face out of you can't tell by the pictures . Very proud of him, and proud to get a nice one before it gets even colder .

wvhoyt19

Congrats!! Great bird and love those hooks on him

birdman67

Got number 2 today. He came in off the roost but hung up at about 75 yards in the woods. I continued to purr and cluck as he walked off. He worked his way around and once he saw the strutter decoy he came in running. He was done at 10 steps. Both birds I have taken had 1 1/16 spurs but the first bird scores a little better for the team. 
Loving God's Creation!

turkey harvester

Heck ya guys!! Sounds exciting. Congratulations on all your birds. Love my strutter decoy!!
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA

aclawrence

Dang I check back in after the seasons been in for a few days and we've already got birds on the score sheet!  Sounds like y'all are having some great hunts. Congratulations!

dzsmith

Another cold windy day gobbler , number 2 for me.  Not a contest bird , but not far off . He still had 1 spur that was 1&1/4 and the other was only 1&1/16. 2 mature birds in 2 days is pretty good luck . He gobbled one time , about 5 minutes before I killed him . 4pm