OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbling with a box call

Started by Bingoman, February 27, 2023, 10:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingoman

I purchased a lynch wc box call last year that had some eyelets and rubber bands on it originally, but they're not on there anymore. I understand the bands are used to gobble.
What technique can  I use to gobble with a box call, do I need the rubber bands?

RH1

Make a "V" with your thumb and pointer and oscillate the paddle across both rails. Some use the fingers and a "peace sign".You can start up by the screw and work the paddle toward the handle. The oscillation really comes from your forearm. I'll add though, thats a tough box to gobble on like that.
Red Hills Turkey Calls

Bingoman

I can kinda make that work. Would it be worth it to try and get the rubber band setup on this box again, or is it gimmicky?

Greg Massey

In all honesty some boxes gobble a lot better than others .. That lynch box is not one of them... You can put a loose wide type rubber band around a box and shake it so the lid goes across the rails and gets a gobble out of a box. But again this all depends on the box... I use my wrist and hold my box with thumb on one side and cup your hand over the lid and use you finger on the other side of the lid and give my wrist a shaking type motion as i'm shaking the lid back and forth creating a gobble sound... BUT AGAIN some boxes gobble better than others ...

tlh2865

I agree with Gregg. A gobbling box has to have a certain sound. I never liked the lynches I ran and don't think they'd sound well. In a gobbling box I want a very deep call that I can get either clean or rasp out of. To get a good gobble I want very light lid pressure. I get both a better sound pitch and cadence that way. To get that light pressure I hold the box at probably a 45 degree angle vertically. Then I draw the lid across one rail to make the first note of the gobble, and then go back and forth across the rails to make the cadence of the gobble. I like to ease my pressure on the rails as I come to the end of the gobble to change the pitch and give it more of an "echo" type sound. Personally I don't see how putting rubber bands on a call could make a good gobble. To get a good sound to me takes a lot of practice and precision with changing pressure through the gobble. It can be learned easily though with a good call. I taught myself in a couple of weeks. And it sounds really good on a few of my boxes, but the same technique that sounds perfect on the right box sounds terrible on another. It is absolutely deadly in the field though if you can learn it. That's why I always keep my ear out for a good gobbling box sound file...

spurs2bgobblin

To me it's like lost calls. Indian, not the arrow.

I like to work a gobble on a OC with my hand on the lid and not the handle. Then I move my hand down the call as I work it left right.

Give it a higher pitch start and finishes in that tucka tucka low note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"In the South it's an understanding. To a turkey hunter, it's a life not subject to change. They know it's crazy. But to them, to us, it's worth it."