OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TurtleSkin Snake Gaiter / Glenda Green Review

Started by aclawrence, February 01, 2023, 04:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grayfox

Great review! I've always worn the snake boots but this looks like another good option. Thanks for the review.

aclawrence

One point I failed to make for gaiters is that I can let my wife wear them if we go out together since her eyes are not as in tune with nature as mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sasquatch1

Never could bring myself to worry enough to wear them and I live as far south as you can get.

How many of y'all have actually been struck or know someone who has?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

aclawrence

One of my friends got bit by a copperhead in my hunting area. He was actually standing around his truck and I believe he had his shoes off or had sandals on.  That's the only firsthand account I know. I've stepped over one timber rattler and almost on top of another. Luckily the temperature was pretty cool on the second and it was pretty docile.

Stick

I was struck by a copperhead in the right shin back in 2012 at Donnelley WMA in SC, scouting for a bow hunt.  I was wearing snake boots and all end well.  I hope it never happens again, but I spend a good deal of time in the woods where the path isn't always clear.  Stepped near and over a few rattlin snakes, they are usually pretty easy going. 

Only been in one accident where I needed my seatbelt, but still where it too.

ACLawrence, thanks again for the video and post, I sent my turtle skins to Ms Glenda yesterday.

BBR12

I like the mods. I always cut the elastic cord on the bottom in mine, I like that better than the cord to hold them down. I flip the top down and use about a 3/8 wood chisel to punch a hole and zip tie the top down about an inch to where they fit me.
I may have to get Mrs Glenda to mod some for me. I have a couple older pair somewhere if I can find them. I've been wearing Turtle Skins for probably 15-20 years. I'm on my third pair, first pair I broke the zipper beating them off after using them to weed eat. Second pair I wore till until they literally had started to get holes in all the flex points, Third pair this will be my third season with them I believe.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 03, 2023, 09:12:29 PM
Never could bring myself to worry enough to wear them and I live as far south as you can get.

I have been bitten by a water moccasin while turkey hunting. Trust me , it's very expensive and not very fun. I wear snake gaiters or boots now even when it's cold. Live down in SW Miss. better chance of being struck by lightning than being snake bit , but trust me , don't take it for granted that odds are so low. It sucks.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

aclawrence

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 06, 2023, 12:16:26 AM
Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 03, 2023, 09:12:29 PM

I have been bitten by a water moccasin while turkey hunting. Trust me , it's very expensive and not very fun. I wear snake gaiters or boots now even when it's cold. Live down in SW Miss. better chance of being struck by lightning than being snake bit , but trust me , don't take it for granted that odds are so low. It sucks.
How fast did the pain set in?  We're you alone or able to get out of the woods ok?