turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Beginner Needs Help

Started by GunRunner, January 19, 2023, 07:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

I have recently acquired my first trumpet ever....a very nice Gwaltney Trumpet. I have not been able to spend as much time with it as I would like, but to date I seem to be making very little progress in learning how to run this trumpet. Seems I get very inconsistent sounds from it. I have tried adjusting the stopper but do not seem to be able to find the optimum position.
I think I need access to several instructional videos for beginners and hope you guys may be able to provide suggestions or links that could help me get going and build some confidence in using a trumpet.
I thank you in advance for advice and suggestions.

GunRunner

Daryl

Ralph Permar has a nice instructional video on Youtube.

tal

On YouTube search Ralph Permar, Marlin Watkins, and Lewis Stowe at Unicoi. Good a place to start as any.

willy9889

I struggled for a long time but with lots of practice the light finally came on.
There isn't a day goes by that I don't practice for a couple minutes at least.
I carry a couple trumpets in my truck console and play while driving....
its made a huge difference.
Don't get discouraged.....keep pluggin away
Very few if any hunters here use trumpets.....I have had great success with them and they are my go to call anymore.
I would recommend instructional videos by Mr Ralph Permar first and second place goes to Del Crow

Greg Massey

Marlin Watkins and Ted Peters have some of the best instructional videos ... Marlin on Youtube and Ted Peters Facebook instructional video...

Sir-diealot

Here is a list I made to help me with learning various calls. Several are "Wind instruments" as I refer to anything that uses air to be played though the first 7 are all Mr. Watkins playing various calls. Several masters on this list and worth watching for sure. Also has Del Crow, Ted "Pete" Peters, Ralph Permar, Zach Farmer, Kenny Morgan and others. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbF6qMoJbTLzkdmzIrqSSxeTkJKKmXVg8
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

richard black

I second Ralph Permar and Del Crow videos. It takes practice and more practice, But once you master a trumpet it is o so sweet.

EZ

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 19, 2023, 08:26:26 PM
Marlin Watkins and Ted Peters have some of the best instructional videos ... Marlin on Youtube and Ted Peters Facebook instructional video...

I think these are some of the best for anyone struggling or just starting on yelpers of any kind. These guys explain the basics right. Practice is imperative, but you need to practice right.

Anyone who would want to get some coaching over the phone is welcome to PM me. I enjoy helping folks out.

wchadw

This is a good starting video
Along with marlins

https://youtu.be/HYCwEsoZUts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misfire

I did one that a lot of people said was helpful. Misfire Game Calls on YouTube
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

greentrout

From my experience, it took an hour or so playing before I felt I made a good yelp. Then it took a couple of months of off and on playing before I could string together more than one yelp. Then suddenly it felt like I made a big leap, like things just sort of clicked. Now I am still struggling to present my air correctly and consistently. I feel like you have to train your brain as much as anything to not overdo it. The videos help, having a good call (I started on a Preston Pittman call with a plastic mouthpiece. Moved to a Gwaltney and saw big improvement) and just lots of practice. 5 minutes a day in your truck can go a long way in my experience.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

GunRunner

Thanks to all for the links and recommendations.
I'm going to master it....hell or high water !

PharmHunter

Del Crow's, Lewis Stowe's, and Mark Prudhomme's videos I found all very helpful.

runngun

Prudhomme just did a video the other day.  One thing, make sure that the lip stop is no more than 1/4 of an inch from the end.  Middle of lips, make kissing sounds. You can get it figured out.

Have a good one and May God bless
Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Brillo

1) The list by Sir-Diealot is impressive
I bought my first trumpet before I found OG and the wealth of knowledge represented here.
I spent many winter hours listening to Marlin Watkins, and Misfire and practicing but never felt I had a good sound.
This January I bought a trumpet from Lee Chadwick and it has already made a huge difference.
Tiny instrument with sweet sound and can get very big.
To quote Lee, "If I can get it you can too."