OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NON TSS ammo options

Started by 357MAGNOLE, January 17, 2023, 09:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Might have been posted.... Probably has but its been a long time since I have been active on the forums. I have about 8 Federal Heavyweights (before they where loaded with TSS) left over.  I imagine I can only get through this season with what I have left. I started looking for some new boxes and they are ALL TSS loads now.  Everything $42+ a box of 5 shells.

What the heck happened to affordable shells? With them costing this much it makes me not want to go pattern my gun and play around with shell combos / chokes for best results.  Even when my other Heavyweight shells cost me $20 a box I thought that was a little high.  I would buy every box on the shelf at that price now.

I currently have a Rem 870 Youth model with a Carlsons .575

I should also add that where I hunt, I am mostly limited to 30 yard shots max range.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Glades

Cheap ammo is still available. Go shoot that if you can't afford TSS.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: Glades on January 17, 2023, 09:58:59 PM

It's not a question of what can be afforded.  I'm at the point where I feel like the prices are artificially inflated and the TSS loads are not necessary.  Everyone was killing birds with no problem long before TSS. I am curious as to what alternatives are out there. I am going to pick up a box of Federal Prairie Storm in #6's to give a go.  25 shells for $35 is a much better price so long as they perform to 30 yards.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

TrackeySauresRex

I don't know the velocity of the PS.. The Win XX is a good option. It looks like the discontinued the Fed mag shock. That was my favorite in the 20. (Lead)
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

PALongspur

If 30 yards is your max range, any shell will work just fine.

I really like Federal Grand Slam in the 20 gauge offering. It shoots great in every gun I've tried it out of.

the Ward

There is plenty of great shooting ammo out there that isn't tss. Winchester longbeards, Federal
grand slams, and Hevi-shot. You probably will have to just pick up some various loads and hit the
pattern board to see what works best for you. Hevi-shot mag blends performed very well out of my
sons 870 20 gauge with the factory super full choke.

357MAGNOLE

Appreciate the feedback, ill have to hit up the local shop and grab a few boxes and do some testing.

Bowguy

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on January 17, 2023, 10:24:10 PM

It's not a question of what can be afforded.  I'm at the point where I feel like the prices are artificially inflated and the TSS loads are not necessary.  Everyone was killing birds with no problem long before TSS. I am curious as to what alternatives are out there. I am going to pick up a box of Federal Prairie Storm in #6's to give a go.  25 shells for $35 is a much better price so long as they perform to 30 yards.

Just shoot lead. I don't get the tss craze either. Unnecessary imo I don't shoot and have no desire to shoot far. Turkeys are a close range sport

bbcoach

Quote from: Bowguy on January 19, 2023, 06:59:34 AM

Just shoot lead. I don't get the tss craze either. Unnecessary imo I don't shoot and have no desire to shoot far. Turkeys are a close range sport
THIS!!!!!

the Ward

Quote from: Bowguy on January 19, 2023, 06:59:34 AM

Good post, that's pretty much where I'm at anymore. Turkey hunting is a sport, It's not whether you win
or lose, It is how you enjoy playing the game.

WildTigerTrout

The only gun I use TSS in is my .410 ga.  All the rest I use some sort of lead load or Hevi-Shot.  IMO in a 10 or 12 ga. TSS is not needed. I killed many turkeys with plain old lead and have never felt at a disadvantage.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Uncle Tom

You can buy Winchester Longbead lead loads for $3 or less per shell. And they will kill 40+ yards. I shoot TSS hand loads in my 20 ga when hunting open fields or woods, and Longbeards # 5 when shots are tight and heavy cover. Not that TSS would not do the job, but I just like the fact that can switch around and use both depending on situation.

Big Jeremy

My favorite non-TSS loads are the heavy-shot stuff. Magblends, straight 7s, and straight 6s were the best for me over the years. I used to really like the Remington Wingmaster HD straight 6s when you could find them.

As far as lead, when longbeards hit, they hit really well. However, I have had a few that were absolutely terrible. They have had issues over the years with bad lots...if going the longboard route, make sure you shoot at least one shell from every box to check its consistency.

The only other leads that I have used much at all were the Winchester XX and Federal Mag shock...they both did well.

All that being said, I do love shooting TSS. I load my own, so it adds some fun to it on that end. Patterns are unbelievable, and it's what I like to shoot, even in my 12 gauge. Is it overkill? Maybe. But I like em, have confidence in them, and don't mind the cost for as little as I shoot them. For someone else that does mind the cost, I fully support their decision. To each their own...such a grand idea!

huntineveryday

I limit my kids to shots within 30 yards out of the 20 guage 870 they shoot. Within that range Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 3" 5's have killed a bunch of turkeys and patterns well with a regular ol full choke. As long as I'm getting the toms into the decoys, that setup will work just fine.

huntineveryday

I will add, I shot some of the 3 1/2" 12 guage Golden Turkey loads in 2021 when I was out of lead pheasant loads...I do not recommend them. I would have been better off with the Golden Pheasant loads. Same shot in both, but those turkey loads have a heavier payload that beat the heck out of my shoulder and cheek and didn't pattern well enough to use beyond 35 yards anyway.