turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tube call advice

Started by ScottTaulbee, January 10, 2023, 10:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

I've played around with tube calls for the last 5 or 6 years. All of them have been the plastic type with a lip stop that sell for around 4 or 5$ from brookside. I can yelp, and cut enough to call a bird in. Anywho, I'm wanting one without the lip stop so I can also learn to use it double duty goose hunting. My question is, is there a difference between a homemade pill bottle style, a 5$ plastic one, or a 70$ prudhomme?. I would imagine it's 95% the man running it but I'm pretty ignorant to a tube call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tal

You are correct. A good caller could get by with just about anything but using a good call never hurts. 

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: tal on January 10, 2023, 10:06:34 AM
You are correct. A good caller could get by with just about anything but using a good call never hurts.
That's where my confusion is. What's the difference in the tube calls?. They all seem fairly similar to me. But it might just be my ignorance

tal

There are differences. Length and diameters (ID and OD), lip rest placement and shape, material (synthetics/wood, type of wood), baffled or not, etc. You mentioned no lip rest to serve double duty as a goose tube. I started on a goose tube over 50 years ago but I still like a lip rest on my turkey tube. You don't need a second mortgage for a good tube call. Browse the threads and contact some makers, get specific and start narrowing your choices.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: tal on January 10, 2023, 11:18:32 AM
There are differences. Length and diameters (ID and OD), lip rest placement and shape, material (synthetics/wood, type of wood), baffled or not, etc. You mentioned no lip rest to serve double duty as a goose tube. I started on a goose tube over 50 years ago but I still like a lip rest on my turkey tube. You don't need a second mortgage for a good tube call. Browse the threads and contact some makers, get specific and start narrowing your choices.
I appreciate the help!. The one I'm most interested in is the Mark Prudhomme tube, from my understanding Harold Knight helped him with it and that's a soft spot for me, being from KY and watching Harold and David growing up

Big Jeremy

I would recommend getting in touch with Tom Osmer of Possum Fork Turkey Calls. He can help you out with some of your questions, and get you a second to none tube for a very fair price.

barry

I have custom made tube calls that I paid $75 - $150 for that just sit on a shelf.
When it comes time to hunt these 2 home made pill can tubes go with me every time.
Between the 2 well over 100 birds have been put in front of a gun when using them.
I have about $12-$15 invested in the 2 calls

paboxcall

Barry - Are the small diameter pill sized tubes harder to tune with the reed compared to a wider bodied tube call?
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

fordhunt

Scott ,most of it has to do with the man playing the call ,but the size of the call has a lot to do with it to . hole size , length,the way it's it built on the inside,latex thickness how the latex is on the call .my advice is to practice with one call ,if your not satisfied try something different.you may find that a cheaper call will play a lot easier for you .

barry

Quote from: paboxcall on March 28, 2023, 12:54:06 PM
Barry - Are the small diameter pill sized tubes harder to tune with the reed compared to a wider bodied tube call?

To me they're easier to tune but I prefer the smaller diameter

FinBonZ

I'm following this thread also to see if someone knows how to use a tube as a goose call.  As in, what to "say" into it.  I can make all of the turkey sounds but can't get a decent honk/cluck like a goose. (using a larger K/H Tube)

G-dub

Another vote for Tom Osmer, scpossum on OG.  Builds a great tube and super nice guy.  He'll help you however he can

tal

Quote from: G-dub on April 04, 2023, 04:40:58 PM
Another vote for Tom Osmer, scpossum on OG.  Builds a great tube and super nice guy.  He'll help you however he can
What he said.  :icon_thumright:

Zobo

Quote from: barry on March 28, 2023, 11:36:34 AM
I have custom made tube calls that I paid $75 - $150 for that just sit on a shelf.
When it comes time to hunt these 2 home made pill can tubes go with me every time.
Between the 2 well over 100 birds have been put in front of a gun when using them.
I have about $12-$15 invested in the 2 calls

Very cool, gotta love it!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Zobo

Good info here, good questions Scott
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14